Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Multi language Gossamer Forum

Quote Reply
Multi language Gossamer Forum
Hi

How easy would it be to run two set of templates both in different languages on the same Gossamer Forum database - and be able to switch between the two set of templates to the exact page in the opposite language with a click of a button.

I can do the second part using a simple hack to check the referrer and redirect, but what I need to know is it as simple as to append a template=x at the end of the every URL and can GForum produce this without me having to manually place that in the code?

Thanks

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Multi language Gossamer Forum In reply to
As I know, in LSQL the t, d, s parameters are automatically kept in the URL, so I think GForum may work the same way.
The 't=' parameter means the template parameter, and should be preserved when you click to an URL which has the 't' parameter.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Multi language Gossamer Forum In reply to
If this is true, then that's excellent news. I don't see any liscencing difficulties with running one version - same database and content but using two different template sets. Will there be a problem with this?

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
I don't see any liscencing difficulties with running one version - same database and content but using two different template sets. Will there be a problem with this?
<<

Thats what the flexible template system is there for. I know someone who has about 20 template sets in use with his copy.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 18, 2002, 4:08 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Multi language Gossamer Forum In reply to
Post a link.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: May 18, 2002, 4:14 AM
Quote Reply
Yep, but I'm not sure, not tried yet, if all texts can be changed right with just a template change...

? Unimpressed

Paul? Do you have experience about this?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, this is possible. Have a look at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/.../gforum.cgi?t=german

to see it translated into German.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Multi language Gossamer Forum In reply to
Excellent. And the software carries your template variable around with you, so I wouldn't have to append this onto every link?

And GT are hapy with users doing this - this doesn't go against the liscence in any way. I just want to double check here as I am looking to put this onto a bilingual site. The content and the database will be exactly the same - there will just be a need to access the information using two different language interface. And if this is OK - then I might consider adding a 'Simple' and 'Complex' interface for both languages too. I predict a number of my target audience here will appreciate only the very basic features of the forum (enough just to post and reply) and that's it and other more experienced users will want to tap into the power of the forum using a fully-features template.

Thanks

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: May 18, 2002, 10:14 AM
Quote Reply
tanx for the tip but i don t understand :Unimpressed

- where should i build german templates ? should they be placed in a folder like 'admin/templates/german' ?

- what about the error answers of the forum included in the templates ?

tanx if you can detail Cool
Quote Reply
hi Alex,

were my questions that silly or you didn t receive them.

i wish to translate the forum in french and english and i don t find details about how to do.

tanx if you can help.

J
Quote Reply
Re: [jigme] Multi language Gossamer Forum In reply to
Quote:
where should i build german templates ? should they be placed in a folder like 'admin/templates/german' ?

Yep. If you want to get fancy, create templates/german and templates/german/local - put your original templates in the upper-level directory, then you can use the version control of the online template manager for making changes if you want. Remember to put a .tplinfo file in german - to call up the editor controls.

You can also let the user select which set of templates to use. In user_profile_display.html, add something like this (code from my site for switching between a graphics-heavy template and a barebones one; in your case, you'd use "german" instead of "bare"):

Code:
<select name="user_template" size="1">
<option value="default"<%if user_template eq default%> selected<%endif%>>Default</option>
<option value="bare"<%if user_template eq bare%> selected<%endif%>>Bare</option>
</select>

Once you've created your german directory (or directories), I think you should be able to modify its error messages by going into the admin console, then Templates, then Language Vars, then select "german" from the dropdown menu.

Last edited by:

agaffin: Sep 23, 2003, 12:11 PM