Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

MailArc + Polling

Quote Reply
MailArc + Polling
I very intrigued by the MailArc functionality but am unable to test it with the 30 trial. Is there a full list somewhere of exactly what it doea and doesn't do at this time? Also, I've seen some posts indicating malfunction in some instances, is that all cleared up and the plugin is stable?

I am also interested in how the plooing plugin works. Is there someone that has it running on a site that I can check out?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited by:

bravelion: Sep 2, 2003, 8:22 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [bravelion] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Hi,

The mail archive plugin can be demo'd at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/archive/

which archives a few mailing lists. This should give you an idea of the features supported. As for the Poll plugin, it's in use on a number of sites, have a look through http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rum/Sites_In_Action/. I know Dropzone and Realiiity both use the poll plugin, and I imagine a number of others do too.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Looks good. This isn't the primary purpose of my purchasing a forum, but it's a good added bonus as I have a specific situation this would solve nicely.

MiaArc: Am I able to assign specific email addresses to be piped into specific forums? In other words, could support@mydomain.com be sent into one forum, while sales@mydomain.com would be archived in another?

Polling: Is there a mechanism in place that prevents someone from voting multiple times?

Thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Hi,

Mailarc: Yes, you can either setup your mail server to pipe the message directly to the archive.pl script, or you can run archive.pl from cron and have it connect to a pop box for message processing.

Polling: Yes, I believe you can limit it by user or by ip.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
And soon, Newsarc. Which is similiar in the sense or archiving content, only that Newsarc will do so with Usenet newsgroup articles. It is reciprocal, which means it will not only archive what it finds in Usenet but also posts there what gets posted in a mirror local forum in Gforum.
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Just trying to get an update on this, can the MailArc plugin use NNTP and pull out certain usenet groups such as "alt.usage.english" into the Gforum?? If so, how would you set this up...
or...
what about this newsarc, it looks interesting...

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] MailArc + Polling In reply to
it is exactly that.

It pulls newsgroups from usenet and makes then available as forums in GForum.

At the end, what you have is Gforum forums extracted from USENET
Quote Reply
Re: [jaltuve] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Can you tell me how to set this up, I just only have the mailing list from my server set up...

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Alex,
Am interested in finding out how to import these lists into Gforum?? I think I have a client sold on the idea of using Gforum for about 6 archived lists, but before he actually makes the purchase, I need to be sure I can import them....
Any assistance/instructions would be greatly appreciated.

On the same note, will Glist do the same thing, for example could I import lists into it also, as I believe that with the list functionality, it may be better to go with it if it could keep the list updated automatically...

Similar to http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists but different lists...

</not a clue>

Last edited by:

Dinky: Dec 17, 2004, 1:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] MailArc + Polling In reply to
Hi,

You can import mailing list posts using the MailArc plugin. It can import posts by connecting to a pop account and downloading the mail off of a pop server. So as long as your existing posts are available via pop, you should be able to import it.

Gossamer List is quite different though. It provides a way to send out one-way announcement style mailings. It has the ability to create, import and manage subscriber lists, and then send out mailings to those lists. It provides the admin the ability to see all sent mailings. It does not provide two way communication like some mailing list software like Majordomo. It's meant as a one-way announcement tool.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.