Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Questions about features, and performance

Quote Reply
Questions about features, and performance
Greetings,

I have been loosely following the development of GF since it was released as a beta, but am not quite up to date on all the admin features.

Right now I'm a migrated W3T user running a recent UBBThreads release. Our post db is about 300k records, and we have around 7k registered users, with about 100-125 online usually (registered+anonymous). Our server spec is a single processor AMD 750, 1.5gb ram, and a 36gb scsi.

We have reached the point of cutting back features to safe face on performance---no searches of all forums, and new message counts on the main index are now gone to allow for quick loading. Otherwise, it runs fine.

Do you think the server spec I mentioned would be sufficient to run GF with a growing db of 300k posts? That increases by about 15k per month. Again, users online (past 10 minutes) is usually 100-125... mySQL connections are 30-50.

Now to the feature questions...

Does GF support unique headers/footers for each forum?
Are there any archiving options?
Are custom profile fields supported? (without hacks, I guess)
Is a PHP version planned?
Have there been any new UBBT -> GF import scripts done (various db changes since W3T V5)
Is there an admin demo somewhere, aside from the functional demo script? (too many admin questions to list!)

Overall, I was disappointed when Infopop bought out W3T, which had a support community much like this one. I think GT is a great company, and if it's sensible from a technical and usability standpoint to switch, I'll strongly consider it.

Muhammad
Quote Reply
Re: [Muhammad] Questions about features, and performance In reply to
>>>Does GF support unique headers/footers for each forum? <<<

I beleive so. If not, its simple to add some 'if' statements in the template would do this.

>>>Are there any archiving options? <<<

Not sure what you mean.

>>>Are custom profile fields supported? (without hacks, I guess) <<<

Yeah, thats simple. Just add the field type, edit the signup page, and its done :)

>>>Is a PHP version planned? <<<

Wouldn't know. My guess would be no.

>>>Is there an admin demo somewhere, aside from the functional demo script? (too many admin questions to list!) <<<

I can't see one. As it says on http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/gforum/demo.htm, your best bet it to download the script, and install the 30 day trial version.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!