Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

PHPBB versus GForum

Quote Reply
PHPBB versus GForum
Next question....how does GForum compare to PHPBB?
Quote Reply
Re: [rayhne] PHPBB versus GForum In reply to
From an installation point of view... GForum is easier. From my jobs point of view (customization and installation of scripts), I'd choose GForum over PHPBB.

I used to be a PHPBB forum user... but GT have obviously done something right.. as a *lot* of people are transfering to GForum (from PHPBB), as I had to write a plugin to help people transfer their posts/users/etc over Wink

There is always a place for free scripts... but IMO, if you have the money.. then go for the better option, which is sure to see you through even the most busy site (lots of people here could vouch for that..I'm sure).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] PHPBB versus GForum In reply to
It's a tough choice...I hate to pay for it but the ability to log in once for both the Links SQL and the forum may be worth it. Once the forum is set up (as well as Community) then people already signed up for the Links SQL can log into the Forum, right? Is there a Forum manual I can look over before hand?
Quote Reply
Quote:
Once the forum is set up (as well as Community) then people already signed up for the Links SQL can log into the Forum, right?

Yup :)

Give it a go on our site. You are logged into community, and also our forum (as well as LinksSQL, but thats not visable to the normal user). Its pretty cool stuff :)

Quote:
Is there a Forum manual I can look over before hand?

Afraid I'm not sure.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
It's a tough choice...I hate to pay for it but the ability to log in once for both the Links SQL and the forum may be worth it. Once the forum is set up (as well as Community) then people already signed up for the Links SQL can log into the Forum, right? Is there a Forum manual I can look over before hand?

You can get the manual at:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...ts/gforum/manual.pdf

I'll send you a PM with some sites with integrated Links SQL and Gossamer Forum using Community so you can see how it works.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] PHPBB versus GForum In reply to
I think PHPBB is better It seems to me the gForum is like unfinished product, so many bugs and problems.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=280924#280924

I started PHPBB on my other site and I have no problems at all. I Hope the new gForum will be better, but I’m very skeptical about when the new gForum will be finished, because when I bought my license they told me it will be soon and it is more than one year I bought it.