Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Help, can't install trial

Quote Reply
Help, can't install trial
I'm having a problem installing the Forum trial version (Win2K, ActivePerl v5.8.1). The install.cgi script gets as far as this file:

Unarchiving (666) D:/Apache2/cgi-bin/gforum/images/bug.gif

Then it halts with the following error:

"Unable to load config file ConfigFile from install.dat. Reason: Bad file descriptor"

I've tried running install.cgi via both the browser and the shell, with and without the "lite=1" switch. Same result each time. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: [pbrrow] Help, can't install trial In reply to
I've encountered the error before on my system during testing, however I can no longer reproduce it. I suspect it is related to the version of Perl, as I had the error in Perl 5.8.1, while the latest version of Perl available (where it no longer occurs) is 5.8.2. However, it didn't _always_ appear in 5.8.1, and I'm not sure specifically what caused it - for example, on several other more-or-less identical versions of Perl it does not occur - but I am sure that it is not the fault of our installation module, and that the error is not legitimate.

You can work around the problem for an install by commenting out the line producing the fatal error message from install.cgi - search for "Unable to load config file", then put a # on the beginning of the line (it's actually in the file twice - the second occurance would need to be commented out to get around the problem during for an upgrade).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Help, can't install trial In reply to
Thanks Jason. The workaround did the trick. Gotta love those unreproducible errors...
Quote Reply
Quote:
(it's actually in the file twice - the second occurance would need to be commented out to get around the problem during for an upgrade).

Hum.. I am seeing it only once.. or am I having a wrong file? (I just downloaded it from GT Site)

I have attached the install.cgi file.. and the only place where Unable to load config file appears is the line number 8652.

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Mar 24, 2004, 10:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] Help, can't install trial In reply to
This was fixed in 1.2.1; are you still getting the same error when attempting to install?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This was fixed in 1.2.1; are you still getting the same error when attempting to install?

1.2.1..... hum.... where can I get it from? Cuz when I try to download it, I get the community-1.0.1.tar.gz version for the download.. Crazy

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Hi -
I am also getting the same error message and also installed the latest version dowloaded this evening.
Quote Reply
Re: [SSmeredith] Help, can't install trial In reply to
Greetings to GT!

we're in need of version 1.2.1.

I could only download & install version 1.0.1 - it causes the mentioned error message ("Unable to load config file ConfigFile from install.dat. Reason: Bad file descriptor"). I've tried several downloads and installs.

Thanks for helping
Oliver