Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Emailing from a separate server

Quote Reply
Emailing from a separate server
Hi,

My server is in a shared environment and the host has strict outgoing email limits intended to protect all users from spammers signing up and abusing the system. I can send no more than 20 emails a minute, or 1000 per day from my account. If my forum is successful, I gather I would exceed the per minute restriction and eventually the daily limit. I don't want to switch hosts though, they are really good with support and maintaining their servers.

I notice that the Forum will allow smtp emailing. I'm not completely educated on this, but does it mean I could have a separate email server and use that server to handle all outgoing mail from my forum?

I hope I explained and asked this right.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: [bravelion] Emailing from a separate server In reply to
Hi,

Yes, you can put in a remote smtp server on a different server, and all outgoing mail from Gossamer Forum will go through this server.

Alternatively, you could get a shared hosting account from us that doesn't have this restriction. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Emailing from a separate server In reply to
Thanks,
What if the external smtp server needs authentication? I don't see a place to type in username and passwrd.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: [bravelion] Emailing from a separate server In reply to
Hi,

No, currently we don't support SMTP auth. Most SMTP servers do allow you to turn on IP based relaying, so hopefully that will be an option for you.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.