Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

version update and site moving

Quote Reply
version update and site moving
OK...I'm about to move my entire Forum to a new server (new isp) I know how to acquire a backup copy of the mysql database but how do I 'install' it on the new werver so I don't loose current content?

Also... I'm still running 1.1.2 (I think) If I update to the latest rev... how much reformatting of the templates am I going to have to do to keep my site looking like it does? In other words, will I loose all my curent template edits?

You can see what our Forum looks like at http://nasshq.org/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi
Quote Reply
Re: [ptegler] version update and site moving In reply to
Hi,

You'll be able to keep your existing templates, however you won't be able to use the new features without editing the templates (i.e. like adding the link to Sticky posts, etc).

Best thing to do for moving, is to install a fresh copy of the forum onto the new server, then move your mysql data over, templates directory over, and attachments directory.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] version update and site moving In reply to
Wink Thanks alex, for the template info.

Unsure But a concern here is the process for moving the tables to the new server.

I'm assuming you need to use mysqlman from the gforum admin panel. I see the 'dump' function, but how to I write it into the new mysql database on the new server? Crazy What steps do I take to make sure it ALL gets moved properly?
Quote Reply
Do you have shell (telnet or ssh) access on both servers?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] version update and site moving In reply to
no...only through gfileman to exectue commands
Quote Reply
I recommend that you install the same version (1.1.2) on the new server [e-mail me if you need a 1.1.2 download file again], then move your files over - the dump functionality from MySQLMan will get all the necessary database information, but you also need to make sure to copy over everything in the admin/templates directory, and the admin/attachments directory (FileMan's "tar" functionality can do this for you). Once everything is copied over to the new server's 1.1.2 installation, make sure that it's working, then upgrade it to 1.2.0 - 1.2.0 will not work with a 1.1.2 database, but the install.cgi program updates the database appropriately for the columns added between your version and 1.1.2, and so has to run off a 1.1.2 installation.

You'll probably also want to check through the Setup menu on the new server to update any GForum settings you may have altered on the old one, and check out the new features added to 1.2.0.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] version update and site moving In reply to
Thanks Jagerman.... OK I think I got... makes sense about transfering everything under the earlier version, then upgrading afterwards.... BUT

The single point I'm still not clear on, is sending the 'dumped' db info to the new database on the new server. ..done via gfileman? mysqlman?