Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

user's changing real email address

Quote Reply
user's changing real email address
Is there any way to disable the feature in EDIT PROFILE where people can change their real e-mail? I dont want people joining under the real address and changing it to a bogus one after validating....

Thanks,

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] user's changing real email address In reply to
E-mail addresses change fairly frequently these days, it's a key profile ability.

If you really want to remove it the easy way is to just take that row out of the form.

You might want to think long and hard about it first. What option would that leave your users? Force them to sign up under a new user name/e-mail? That would destroy any history they had under the old.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] user's changing real email address In reply to
Thanks for responding,

I too thought about that, but is there a way to keep the one that was used to validate with on file? There may be legitimate reasons to change that block - but as a part of my site security, I require e-mail validation. I don't want some guy coming in - registering - taking information and/or posting abusive stuff or violating the terms of service, change his account e-mail and run.

A wee bit difficult to explain all of the circumstances, but I would like to keep that one valid e-mail on file some how. Having the ability to change their e-mail is desirable, but I want the first one on record as well.
Quote Reply
Valid concern, and one that we all share. However, I don't think you can ever completely stop a dedicated knucklehead from being abusive, they'll find a way.

What you don't want to do is limit functionality at the expense of your good users (my .02 cents worth).

You do have the IP number to go after abusive users through their service provider, which will in the long run serve you better than their e-mail address I suspect.

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, if you're really concerned about who signs up to your forum - you could always go with the Manual Validation option, see "Setup", "Users".

Then you'd be the one to validate each user. It would allow you to see their e-mail address, dialog with them in some fashion if desired, and then validate them.

It's a lot of work though.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] user's changing real email address In reply to
Thanks again - you have a great point - what can I do with an e-mail address, not much. Where can I find the log of ip addresses?
Quote Reply
You could also create a custom field in the user table, user_signup_email_address. Then, when the user validates, you could copy (by means of a plugin), the email address to this new field. Like this, the user can later change his/her email address and you still have the address they signed up with.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi,

Especially if it's a free email account (we have a number of people I've seen who signed up with a freemail.gossamer-threads.com address). =)

The ip's are stored in the Post table (post_ip), and the Message table (msg_ip) I believe.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Apr 27, 2002, 5:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] user's changing real email address In reply to
Thanks guys! It is nice to know that there is a log of the activity - and I will try to play with the hidden field option. This is great!