thread moves ...

Quote Reply
thread moves ...
another nice idea to add:

right now we got delete a post but is there a move a thread function ??? Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] thread moves ... In reply to
Not a good idea otherwise I could predict caos if anyone was allowed to move threads - anyway where were you planning on moving them? Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] thread moves ... In reply to
I wrote the import for WWWThreads => GForum, and it wasn't too fun as is. Importing the posts was relatively easy because of you could rely on the fact that posts couldn't be moved, and thus posts with a higher ID can't be a root post of a thread that had lower ID's. That way you could just import the posts incrementally.

I'd hate to have to write it so that it'd have to find all the root posts, then traverse all the threads Unsure

Now moving entire threads into other forums... that would be easier and cause chaos on the DB side.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] thread moves ... In reply to
I was thinking more on the entire thread side ... since only a post would be a little silly in itself.

where and what :

gee ... (of course, I'm thinking not only for GT) ... let's use GT as an example. sombeody posts a discussion type of question in the installation area ... instead of "wrong forum buddy ..." a simple move would have the same effect without the hurt feelings or errr ... "harsh" words ... newbies have trouble learning a community's rules ... sure, yeah, right, it's written clearly just like my instructions for my VCR but does anybody read a manual?

ahhh, doh, I'm not a programmer so I have no clue what type of hell it would be to deal with ... I've seen it used effectively at phpBB.com though ...

like I said a possible useful function to have to keep things organized and feelings protected. Angelic

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] thread moves ... In reply to
Quote:
instead of "wrong forum buddy ..." a simple move would have the same effect without the hurt feelings or errr ... "harsh" words ... newbies have trouble learning a community's rules ...

Yes I agree but it should be an admin option not for any user to move threads - just think if you got some unruly member who decided to trash the forum......
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulWilson] thread moves ... In reply to
Moving entire threads from forum to forum would be easy to implement (if I remember the database table structure correctly).

Quote:
Yes I agree but it should be an admin option not for any user to move threads

You would probably give the forum moderators this permission (and of course the admin could do it as well). I suppose you *could* have an option to give registered users this access as well (if you really trust your users)...

Only problem I see with this is that people are going to post something to, say the General Discussion forum, then a moderator moves it into the Gossamer Forum forum, and when that user comes back to view replies of their post, they're like "Where's my post gone?! Did someone delete it? ..." Maybe a solution to that would be to PM/email all the users who had posted to that thread that got moved...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] thread moves ... In reply to
ummm ... that's what I meant ... to have the moderators move the thread Blush. If members could, gosh molly you would have to call the site chaotic boards Crazy

Like I briefly posted on the top thread ... we've got delete a post ... a message should show and/or within the the original post, the moderator could post a message that so-and-so's thread got moved ... ie, you're thread got moved to XYZ category area.

Also, hopefully, the thread would be moved before to many folks posted to it, that way you don't have to PM everybody.

the board I use now you can post a message and then just move it ... ahhh ... the original thread was left I believe. errr ... leaving a trail like post deleted does would be the easiest and less of a problem for notifying the posters by PM or email ...