Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

subsription emails

Quote Reply
subsription emails
Hello. For some reason, the forum never sends out the subscription email notices. It sends out private message and reply to posting notices.

Ideas? Should I look somewhere I haven't thought of?

RICHARD
Quote Reply
Re: [rtuttle] subsription emails In reply to
You need to set up a cron job to run subscribe.pl, located at admin/cron/subscribe.pl.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] subsription emails In reply to
And this is done how?
Quote Reply
It depends on what OS your system is on. If it's a unix system, you log in to the system and issue the command 'crontab -e'.

At that point, you need to enter a line something like this:

Code:

20 2 * * * /path/to/your/admin/cron/subscribe.pl --send
What that line does is send out the forum subscription e-mails at 2:20 am every day.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
And if we don't have access to doing cron, crontab or cron jobs?

Unsure

Shouldn't this be part of the Admin Panel features?

Last edited by:

rtuttle: Jan 12, 2002, 11:53 AM
Quote Reply
In 99% of cases, admin.cgi is running as the common webserver user, which shouldn't create a cron job.

If you don't have access, you should ask your ISP to set up a cron job to run '/path/to/your/admin/cron/subscribe.pl --send' once a day.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
According to their user manual they have explicit rules against running any sort of cron jobs from user accounts.

Are there alternatives?
Quote Reply
Unfortunately not - the subscription e-mail cannot be sent when a user posts to a forum. The reason is this - a forum that has many subscribers would need to send an e-mail to every user when posting. So, to take our Announcement forum as an example, 108 e-mails would be sent every time someone posted a message to it. This would introduce all sorts of problems - it may appear to take a long time to post for the user posting, there are all sorts of timeout problems - there is no guarantee that the web server will let the process run long enough to send all of the e-mails, or the user might get fed up and hit Stop.

You might try asking your ISP to set up a cron job (or some other equivelant) for you anyway, explaining that it needs to run only once a day and sends e-mail to subscribers of your forums. It may be that they don't like unauthorized cron jobs running.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
The real ugly way would be to telnet/ssh in every day and run the command yourself Smile (assuming you have telnet/ssh access).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] subsription emails In reply to
I do (SSH) but they don't allow cron jobs via that method either.
Quote Reply
The method brewt suggested isn't a cronjob, you would just be executing the file manually.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] subsription emails In reply to
Ah! Would it be the same command as given above?
Quote Reply
It would be:

perl subscribe.pl --send

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 12, 2002, 2:42 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] subsription emails In reply to
btw, only do this is you're extremely desperate Smile. I know I wouldn't enjoy having to log into my server and run a command every day, when I could do the same thing with a cron job Wink

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] subsription emails In reply to
Hey what happened to Jasons post Crazy