Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

status images! nice touch / / link comment

Quote Reply
status images! nice touch / / link comment
I like how the status image changes:

1 document - white = read and no replys
2 overlap document - white = read and read reply
same for the yellows.

Too bad the legend doesn't mention this!

---------

Links need to be changed to the left of the forum logo. Especially the post new message / reply comment. They're pretty intuitive but need to stand out more (HEY! I'm a link dahh ...) type of idea.

Keep up the good work folks I really like wha I see!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: status images! nice touch / / link comment In reply to
In Reply To:
like how the status image changes:

1 document - white = read and no replys
2 overlap document - white = read and read reply
same for the yellows.

Too bad the legend doesn't mention this!

Actually, the legend does try to show the different meanings - there are actually 12 different icons that can be used for the status. What I am trying to show in the legend is that a flame indicates a hot thread, a yellow page indicates a new post, an overlapping page indicates a post with replies, and a plain page indicates a single post. (These only show up when used - for example, you won't see the yellow page icon in the legend if there are no new posts in the forum)

I'm certainly open to suggestions on making this more clear - but listing each of the 12 icons would probably make things too complicated.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
How about just 4 icons?

1) Single post
2) Post with replies
3) New single post
4) New post with replies

??.....am I being too simplistic Smile

Ooo mr smilie looks stoned.

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 7, 2001, 6:26 PM
Quote Reply
Mr. smiley has NO EYES!

wahhhhaaaahaaa [:)]

Quote Reply
You're missing the flaming page.

Also, you can have a white page with a yellow page behind it (indicating that you have read this one, but there are new replies that you have not read) or a yellow page with white behind it (this is quite rare, but still possible using threaded mode).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
yeah, you're right. I should pay more attention to the "new" things happening. so much to watch for ... I get confused [crazy]

I use the flat mode ... I never did like thread mode ... short memory span on top of reading several different forums you tend to forget the 5 w's and 1 H things ... with flat view you miss who's posting to who but the scrolling through several messages is less troublesome than clicking on multi-links and makes going back easier ...

Eliot and Paul on another thread in here just talked about this too .... I wonder is there a way for flat viewers can see what message relates to what message ... ie ...

Replying to: blah blah HELP ME blah blah ... by QooQ ???

Sure, this shouldn't be necessary but since we have 2 types of folks "flats" and "threads" confusion might be lessened. .... hopefully ....

Also, can something be done about the the [ signiture ] being at the top of the Post: box ... it's a little irratating ... I still vote for a checkbox.