Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

setting up forums

Quote Reply
setting up forums
Is there a way to do this by directly accessing/loading data into the MySql database ?

I'd like to set up several thousand, each representing a different account, and not do it manually.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [regert] setting up forums In reply to
You could write a script that does that. First, you need to define some category structure for your forums, and once you've done that you can import the forum definition data quite easily (using the GT library).

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] setting up forums In reply to
By category structure for the forum do you mean the information that is found on the Forum:AddRecord page of the admin section ?

Is there a way of determining what template is being used to display that page ? I assume that the template will define what valuse it needs.

Where would I look for the GT tools library (it doesn't look like the 'tools' directory is it) ? What part of the tools library would be relevant ?

Thanks.
Bob
Quote Reply
Looks to me like I could just add the forum names into the gforum_Forum table and create categories in the gforum_Category table and link them up as needed via the cat_id_k field.

Anybody aware of potential problems ?

Thanks.

BTW setting up mod_perl makes this fly !
Quote Reply
You can use something like thisi to add a forum from a script:
Code:
my $table = $DB->table('Forum');
$table->add( { cat_id_fk => 1234, forum_name => 'My Forum' } );
Maybe you need to add more fields into the add statement, you'll have to test this. This method should also create the correct permissions for the default usergroups.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins