Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

segfaults and bus errors

Quote Reply
segfaults and bus errors
Hi --

I'm running into a bunch of segfaults and bus errors and I'm having trouble tracking them down. Here's what I see in my error log:
[Wed Oct 8 15:18:26 2003] [notice] child pid 3429 exit signal Bus Error (10)
[Wed Oct 8 15:18:26 2003] [notice] child pid 3423 exit signal Segmentation Fault (11)

I don't get this on every request, but many. So far it only seems to happen on the forum and post level pages - not on the forum index pages, edit profile pages, etc.

Using GForum 1.2.0, Embedded Perl version v5.8.0 for Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_perl/1.28 mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7c

I did see this post which sounds similar to what I'm seeing, but it doesn't offer any details on the fix:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=233830#233830
Quote Reply
Re: [cmurtaugh] segfaults and bus errors In reply to
Are you running under mod_perl? And, if so, do you have the Image::Magick module installed? You can run:
Code:
perl -MImage::Magick -le 'print "installed"'
to find out.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] segfaults and bus errors In reply to
I am running under mod_perl; we have Image::Magick installed, but I'm not aware of it being used by any code running in this server.
Quote Reply
Some more information: I'm using a plugin to handle permissions checking, and it's using SOAP::Lite to call another service. Right now I'm suspicious that SOAP::Lite is involved...

My plugin is configurable, and I can specify an administrator ID, which bypasses the SOAP calls. When I do that, the segfaults/bus errors seem to go away.
Quote Reply
OK - figured it out. Seems that SOAP::Lite has problems running under mod_perl when apache's got expat compiled in.

Adding this to my module that uses SOAP::Lite fixed things:

$SOAP::Constants::DO_NOT_USE_XML_PARSER = 1;