Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

paypal donations

Quote Reply
paypal donations
I want to take paypal donations through the forum, but also elsewhere on my site, for other services. If I turn on the IPN in my paypal account, does this mean I have to use IPN for all the services offered from my site, or can I use IPN for the forum and turn it off for other payments?

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] paypal donations In reply to
Yes, you can set this up by adding a "notify_url" form input on the paypal form. Basically, you need to add the following into the include_payment_paypal.html template:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="notify_url" value="http://www.example.com/path/to/gforum.cgi">

A good place to add it is near the top, just under the line with <input type="hidden" name="business" ...>. Of course, replace the www.example.com/path/to/ with the appropriate value for your site.

This notify_url parameter overrides whatever IPN URL you have set for your PayPal account, so you can set the IPN URL to the other services on your site.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] paypal donations In reply to
Can you turn off the IPN for specific payments? I had in mind using paypal on another area of my site where the callback feature is not required.

Perhaps there is a form tag that can be used to turn it off, even if IPN is selected from the paypal admin?

Jason
Quote Reply
Re: [wickedmoon] paypal donations In reply to
I _think_ you can disable IPN for your PayPal account, and then just pass the notify_url variable when you want IPN - although I recommend making a test payment first (PayPal recommends charging another account, then refunding it, instead of offering any real test mode).

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com