Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
license
Hi,

I'm not sure where to ask this question. I recently purchased Links.SQL Version 2.1.0.through a developer.

I asked for the license but he says he keeps the license. I am able to access the Directory and Forum but he has control over it. Is this right?

Best regards,

Lois
Quote Reply
Re: [lois lane] license In reply to
No definitely not.....if you paid the $450 the license is yours.

I resell GT's scripts and always forward the license details to the customer. If I do the installation they always have full admin access (and generally after that, they lock me out....rightly so)
Quote Reply
Cant see any situation were this would be so. If this person sold on a license to you, then he will have no right to retain any part or use of the program -- it would now be totally yours. I would take this up with the seller, then if no joy, with Gossamer-threads. It actually sounds to me like a dodge deal.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: Apr 13, 2002, 2:10 PM
Quote Reply
Contact support@gossamer-threads.com immediately with details of this 'reseller'. Doesn't exactly sound kosher to me <g>.

- wil
Quote Reply
I was thinking about "license" and it could have two meanings

1) a written paper license

2) having the script in your name, the serial numbers and access codes, etc.

There is not a paper license sent out by GT.

If the script is not in your name, you should definitely contact GT. You should also check any paperwork with the developer and see if you agreed to this in the fine print. Also check to see who owns the copyright to your sight, you or the developer.

You could be in a situation where you have agreed to pay for the development of your site but the developer holds the licenses and copyright. This would make moving your website to another developer or webhost difficult because, technically, the developer owns your site.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] license In reply to
The developer can't make up their own license agreement...it has to fall under GT's.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] license In reply to
I love the phrase 'GT' - it reminds me so much of the Gin & Tonics I was drinking last night ;-)

[ feel free to splice me off from the thread :-\ ]

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] license In reply to
In Reply To:
The developer can't make up their own license agreement...it has to fall under GT's.

True.

The GT-Forum 1.1.3 forum license is a very simple 1 license per URL per installation with a liability disclaimer.

The GT license does not specify who has to hold the license. It would be acceptable under the GT license for a developer to purchase one license per URL and hold the license instead of transfering it to the site owner.

The site owner needs to read the fine print and verify who will own the licenses and copyrights once the work is completed.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Post deleted by Paul In reply to

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 14, 2002, 9:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] license In reply to
I was really referring to the reseller agreement rather than the license...sorry.

I've been speaking with Lois privately and I think she'll be contacting Jack.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 14, 2002, 9:43 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Best thing to do is contact us. Basically one license == one installation of the program on one url. The license is transferable, as long as their only remains one installation on one url (so yes, you can sell the forum to a third party).

We do need an email with the transfer details so we can update our records here.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] license In reply to
I don't want to speak for lois but I think what she was getting at is that the reseller is claiming her license as his own even though she paid for it and he is now not giving her access to the software.

I gave her Jacks email address so she'll be contacting you guys anyway.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 14, 2002, 10:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] license In reply to
In Reply To:
The license is transferable, as long as their only remains one installation on one url (so yes, you can sell the forum to a third party).
Alex

hmmm does this open it up to be sold on E-bay or yahoo?

Not that "I" would but wanted to clairfy this statement up.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] license In reply to
.. and for a higher price ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] license In reply to
Actually that makes me wonder.

If you do a bunch of hacking/editing and what not ... would you be just selling the license and/or the files too?

OF course, purchased plugins are a different story.

hmmmm .... programming in the E-bay age.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] license In reply to
Err... well so long as you have signed the reseller contract and keep the price within allowed range set forth in that contract, I would guess so.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator