Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

gforum.cgi hangs

Quote Reply
gforum.cgi hangs
For developement purposes, I have added the tag <%GT::Template::dump%> to the template post_view_threaded.html (in order to see which tags are available on the page).

When I tried to view a post in threaded mode, gforum.cgi consumes more and more memory, and eventually killed the server (i.e. I had to reboot).

I haven't tested this very extensively (you have to be fast to kill the process before the server hangs), but I noticed that this doesn't happen for post_view_flat.html, category_list.html or forum_view.html.

This is version 1.1.3, and I have not had the problem before (I have used version 1.1.1 before for developping).

I had the same problem at my home computer, so I might be a real problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? (just in case, don't test it on a production server!!!!)

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] gforum.cgi hangs In reply to
Doesn't my server here, but it sure does eat memory Smile. Jason will have fun debugging it.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi,

My virtual hosting company closed my account since I upgraded to 1.1.3. They told me that gforum.cgi was consuming to much server resources. My forum was not yet opened to public, so I was the only one who navigated on it... They gave me the times when the overload happened, and I presume seriously that it was when I clicked on "View Threaded" (post_view_threaded.html) (I was trying to solve the bug with "Watch Thread".)

Since this, my webhosting company doesn't want anymore Gforum on their servers! So I have to find another webhosting company... I'm afraid that with this bug (if it's a bug), Gossamer Forum could get rapidly a bad reputation for its consuming server resources.

Thank you.

François

Sorry for my bad english...

Last edited by:

Franco: Mar 25, 2002, 12:25 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] gforum.cgi hangs In reply to
>>and I presume seriously that it was when I clicked on "View Threaded" (post_view_threaded.html) <<

"presume" being the keyword :)

If it was a bug it should affect this forum too but clicking view threaded seems to work fine.

Im not saying it isn't a bug....just seems strange.

Last edited by:

Paul: Mar 25, 2002, 1:03 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] gforum.cgi hangs In reply to
For me, everything is fine as long as I don't include the <%GT::Template::dump%> call in the template. It only happens if I include it in the template.

So it wouldn't affect this forum.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Hi François,

Is it possible for us to obtain a MySQL dump of your GForum database?

Please e-mail me at: jason@gossamer-threads.com

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
This is a known recursive data-structure problem in the GT::Dumper module.

The fix is to change admin/GForum/Post/View.pm so that the data structure doesn't apply.

Attached is an updated admin/GForum/Post/View.pm file that fixes this problem.

The attachment also fixes a problem where replying to a deleted user could cause a fatal error to occur if the user was deleted in an older version of Gossamer Forum which was then upgraded.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] gforum.cgi hangs In reply to
Jason,

thanks for the fix. It works perfectly now!

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Hi Francois,

This looks like it was caused by the Whois plugin. We've tracked down a bug where it can cause GForum to go into a tight, never ending loop. Please uninstall it. We are working on a new version.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.