Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

forum backend - GT script tie in

Quote Reply
forum backend - GT script tie in
hmmm ... talk is G-forum will be like other GT scripts (heresay - I guess) Links - LinksSQL price structure waht not.

But what's the actual back end? SQL or flatfile or both?

If you own LinksSQL or dbmanSQL with G-forum tie in with these products? As in member singup and such?

Obviously, I'm very interested in using this forum but I use www.phpBB.com 's phpBB sn opensource product and it's doing a bangup great job right now ONLY problem is to blend in with my GT scripts. IF G-forum blends in I'llbe one of your first downloaders Smile

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: forum backend - GT script tie in In reply to
THere is no way GT would waste their time creating a high-end forum that was flat-file based.

It's an SQL backend and will most likely be (well 99.9999%) compatible with LinkSQL, DBMAN SQL and Gossamer-Mail (with a bit of tweaking or a plugin).

Quote Reply
Price strucure then .....
Not everybody can afford (example: +$200) big money for a script.

I agree developing for flat-file is not very popluar but to get users to upgrade or for users who don't have SQL as an option, a flat-file version would be great.

money does talk!

Quote Reply
I guess you'd have to use one of the many flat file forums available if you didn't have an SQL database or insufficient funds to pay the price. Im not sure GT would create it.

Quote Reply
Yea, I agree with Paul..>This script is NOT powered by a flatfile backend...think of the numbr of users...11,000+, it would crash all the time with a flat file system.

As my profile stats...say NO to flat files!

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

Not to nit pick, but what about your comment over in LinksSQL pre-sales? I liked what you said!

I agree that flat-file is not best method to run large forums but what about the other people who don't have so many users and the money but might want to run G-Forums?

This is why I asked about what the backend was like.

If this forum does not run on flat-file and is priced out many people's pockets (hmmm ... I doubt) but I go with Paul, other options will probably be choosen.

then again, this thread and reply's is still be based on educated guesses until GT says directly.

A few weeks wait won't hurt.

oh well ....

Quote Reply
Like Paul, I almost gaurantee that the Gossamer Forum software package WILL NOT be flat-file based!!! It is way too robust to be a flat-file system!

Like Paul stated, if you don't have the server resources, are on a shared/virtual account, and you do not have monetary resources to afford a package like GT Forums, then you are left with no choice but to persue less robust and efficient solutions, like Discus, or even UBB...yuck!

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, this is all SQL based, shares the same SQL engine all our other products work on and will work with MySQL, MS-SQL, Postgres and Oracle. When we put the beta out, we will put the product pages and pricing up as well.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.