Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Why would GForum run slower on Oracle?

Quote Reply
Why would GForum run slower on Oracle?
I've been setting up GForum to work with our Oracle databases. Everything works fine except it is slow - whenever GForum needs to talk to the database, pages take awhile to show up.

Just to compare, I re-pointed GForum to a MySQL database (on the same box as one of our Oracle dbs). Zips right along.

Where would I start looking to try to diagnose what the issue is? One of our IS guys says it probably isn't the Oracle dbs directly - they have plenty of unused CPU time.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Quote Reply
Re: [agaffin] Why would GForum run slower on Oracle? In reply to
Hi,

Is this a small database or a large database? If it's a large database it might be a query that Oracle is not optimizing properly, but if it's a small one, then it's most likely related to connection overhead.

I would suggest timing how long it takes to connect:

perl -MDBI -e 'DBI->connect("DBI:Oracle:host=localhost;sid=yoursid", "username", "password")'

If that's relatively quickly, try a connect, select, disconnect and compare that to mysql.

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Why would GForum run slower on Oracle? In reply to
Thanks for that suggestion. Ran that code and what I got back was:

Quote:
ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

So I'm thinking there might be a problem somewhere Smile.

Our tech guy's added it to his to-do list, but given that that's a lengthy list already, another question: Is there an easy way to export, then import a forum database (similar to the way you can do it in Links)? That way, we could go live with MySQL, then, once the above is fixed, move everything over to Oracle (I've already got tables there that replicate the tables in MySQL).
Quote Reply
Re: [agaffin] Why would GForum run slower on Oracle? In reply to
Hi,

You need to set the oracle environment:

export ORACLE_HOME=/path/to/oracle/home

and then run the command I mentioned.

To move the forum back to Oracle, you would want to have gossamer forum setup the tables in Oracle, and then dump the data from mysql:

mysqldump --no-create-info -uUSER -pPASS DATABASE > output.sql

You can then load that data into Oracle using isql.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.