Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Who's Online "Guests"

Quote Reply
Who's Online "Guests"
Oftentimes our "Who's Online" shows Guests who are not actually on our site as far as I can tell. Are these robots and is there any way to exclude them from the "Who's Online" list?
Quote Reply
Re: [Jobu] Who's Online "Guests" In reply to
Yes they are robots. Googlebot, Slurp, MSNbot, etc.

I have a seperate script running and it will often display something like Visitors Online: 232 | Forums: 417. It's simply not possible to have more visitors on the forum than there are on the whole site.

As far as excluding them; I'm not sure if that's possible.
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Who's Online "Guests" In reply to
In Reply To:
Yes they are robots. Googlebot, Slurp, MSNbot, etc.

I have a seperate script running and it will often display something like Visitors Online: 232 | Forums: 417. It's simply not possible to have more visitors on the forum than there are on the whole site.

As far as excluding them; I'm not sure if that's possible.

I don't understand why the Who's Online is inaccurate but other scripts are. There's no way to eliminate the robots from showing up as "online"?
Quote Reply
Re: [Jobu] Who's Online "Guests" In reply to
I posted awhile back a new Online.pm for both the GT::Online.pm and Plugins::Online.pm to post/track counts. It might fix some of the duplicate stuff, but it's not going to get rid of specific IP's. You could look at the diff's between mine and the original to see where you could insert some code to remove specific users by pattern.

Since July with google cutting and dumping and spam rising, it's getting more difficult to maintain any sites, or look at real-time stats as meaningful.

Not all robots are google... some are harvesters looking for email addresses or other information, and they target forums, where people are more likely to post stuff.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.