Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Which users are displayed in the Member Directory

Quote Reply
Which users are displayed in the Member Directory
Would it be possible to have only users of a group being able to see other users in their group as an option in the upcoming version.

It would be great in the case of my forum but also I think that anybody that is thinking of creating private discussions in their forum will most probably find that the groups will not want their users to be seen by everybody.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Which users are displayed in the Member Directory In reply to
sorry, but where you want them able to see each other? You mean in the forum?

I find great the groups feature, to create a private forum, just adding user to a group, and giving access to a forum only for a user group.

http://www.webconferencia.net/
Quote Reply
Re: [acidoinmetal] Which users are displayed in the Member Directory In reply to
When you go into "Who's Online" There is a link to the Member Directory that is sometimes used as a who's online page in certain forums. This lists the people that are part of the forum.

However when owners of the script want to sub let part of the forum by creating a private area for a sub set of users;
a) the general owner of the forum may not want the sub set of users from a private forum to see the details of the general users
b) the person sub letting may not want the users of his private forum displayed. Also the other general users may have no link whatsoever with the sub set of users.

In my case I have users that only participate in one group that few other users can see. Some have been contacted by Private Message by other users and were initially curious as to why users from other groups could contact them and/or see them.

John
Significant Media