Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts?

Quote Reply
Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts?
Some of our forum members are leaving a lot of dead/blank space at the end of their posts.

Even if the post is blank, only a subject line, the post extends way below the where the "Copy Shortcut" line is in the left column.

Here's an example:
http://www.guitardiner.com/...;;page=unread#unread

It's happening to severl posters, but not all. The poster displayed in the thread above claims he has made no profile changes.

TIA

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts? In reply to
I'd pop into the database and manually check their signature. Or you could change their password to something temporary, and log in as them and check it that way if you prefer.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Sep 15, 2002, 2:55 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts? In reply to
That was it, Scott. Thanks. BTW, I didn't have to log in as the user, it was fairly obvious that there were a bunch or carriage returns in the sig section of the user panel.

He still claims he didn't enter a sig, but he is a notorious non-truth-teller! Shocked

Thanks again!

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Never trust users Cool

Glad it was an easy fix.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts? In reply to
It turns out that this really wasn't a fix. I've noticed some users having this excess space at the bottom of their posts and when I go in and look at their details/modify, there are a bunch of line feeds in their signature area. I wrote it off for a couple of days, but it happened to me today! There were five or six blank lines in place above my signature ... and I know that I didn't touch my profile.

Any thoughts on this one? Bug? Poltergeists?

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Just bumping this one as it's now becoming a problem, wasting a lot of screen space ...

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Do the users creating posts with lots of blank space user avatars? ....if so that is probably the reason.

For example look at ArmyAirForces posts above, they have blank space at the bottom as his avatar is bigger than his posts.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts? In reply to
In Reply To:
Do the users creating posts with lots of blank space user avatars? ....if so that is probably the reason.

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Wasted blank space at the bottom of posts? In reply to
Paul:

The users may or may not have avatars, but that does not seem to be the problem!

I just went through the first page of user records and almost half of them had blank spaces and carriage returns in the signature box, whether they had inserted a signature or not, and even more puzzling, they also had blank spaces and carriage returns in the Interests box.

I checked with some of them, and they had not entered extra lines and most of them had never filled out the Interests box. Again, this has happened to my record and I know there were feeds and spaces in my record that I did not put there!

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner

Last edited by:

Boomer: Sep 21, 2002, 7:24 PM
Quote Reply
this is becoming an increasingly annoying problem! In reply to
Of course, the original post means nothing as I fix that, but it is happening randomly but regularly to many users and as our user list grows, so does the amount of screen space wasted.

Again, this happens in both the signature and in the user record Interests box.

Ours can't be the only forum having this problem and if it is, what sets it apart. It was installed by Gossamer and the only modifications have been directed by company people.

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] this is becoming an increasingly annoying problem! In reply to
Check the profile template - it may be a matter of having something like:

<textarea ...>
<%user_interests%>
</textarea>

which would throw in one, possibly two (depending on the browser) extra lines. Instead, change it to:

<textarea ...><%user_interests%></textarea>

That will hopefully fix up the problem.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] this is becoming an increasingly annoying problem! In reply to
I've made the change you suggested, but you should know that this problem seems to compund itself. There will be one or to extra blank spaces and a carriage return on day and several the next. It's adding blank lines after an entry as well as before!

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
It won't get rid of the existing extra lines, but it should stop it from continuing.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] this is becoming an increasingly annoying problem! In reply to
In Reply To:
It won't get rid of the existing extra lines, but it should stop it from continuing.

Unfortunately, it has not stopped the extra line feeds and spaces from appearing. They don't seem to be appearing as often, but still a randon occurance!

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Hi,

We'll look at adding something to strip off trailing new lines in signatures.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.