Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

User number of posts

Quote Reply
User number of posts
Hi,

When I click on the username "Jagerman", it's written that Jason has sent 1090 posts. When I click on the button "Show user's posts", the search results give 1071 posts. So I can deduce that Jason send 19 posts which I don't have access. I think that it would be better if the number of posts in user_view.html indicates the number of post that we have access (in this case: 1071) relatively to the permissions we have in all the forums.

Thank you.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Aug 7, 2002, 9:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] User number of posts In reply to
Are you sure they aren't just deleted posts?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] User number of posts In reply to
Almost sure. But Jason will confirm it...

François
Quote Reply
Hum, I checked in my own forum and I think now that the difference (19 posts) between the number of posts in Jagerman profile and the number of posts in search results includes deleted posts and posts which I don't have access to it. So, if it works this way, it's harder to find how many posts I don't have access... and thus it's not really a problem. Sorry.

François

Last edited by:

Franco: Aug 7, 2002, 9:58 AM
Quote Reply
The profile page displays the number of posts that I have made. The missing 19 are probably deleted posts.

There are a few reasons that this is static as opposed to being dynamically generated from the number of posts by me that you'll actually be able to read. The most compelling is that the number should reflect the number of posts made, not the number of posts on the system. For example, if I used the feature in the admin to delete posts older than 6 months, someone who has posted 1 post / day for the last 2 years and someone who has posted 1 post / day for the last 6 months would show up as having the same number of posts, but in reality the first user has 4 times as many.

The feature isn't meant to show the number of posts currently on the system that the user has made, but rather the number of posts that the user has ever made. Whether posts have since been deleted, or you don't have permission to them shouldn't matter - I've still made x number of posts.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] User number of posts In reply to
That makes sense! Smile

François