Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

USENET Plugin

Quote Reply
USENET Plugin
A good idea for a free plugin is a usenet plugin to synch the forum with a usenet board.

a lot like this really <--- LINK

[you really have to improve the css on the links, they are hard to distinguish]

Last edited by:

cortez: Jan 19, 2002, 5:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [cortez] USENET Plugin In reply to
Hi Cortez,

I'm the author of that hack in your link. One of my sites is running an old version of vB and I'm seriously considering getting Gossamer Forum to Replace it. One reason for my changing is the threaded view that is available here which is ideal for usenet posts. But the other reason is the new community app that has been mentioned.

If I do decide to switch I will port the hack and make it publicly available as a plugin.
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] USENET Plugin In reply to
Hi Paul,

If you'd like to send me the hack, we can turn it into a plugin pretty easily. We will be putting up a mail archive plugin today or tommorrow that lets you turn your forum into a mailing list archive easily (or justs adds the ability to post to a forum via email).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] USENET Plugin In reply to
alex, that would be great.

Here's what I would like to do. Perhaps it can help.

I would like to link the forum with a newsgroup and email all posts corresponding to a search string to a user group. This because we're in the trekking business and there isn't such a newsgroup. So I would like to sort posts from several newsgroups and compile them into the forum.

Example th ng rec.travel.europe and fr.rec.montagne (mountain) into our trekking forum.

What do you think about this?

Mitia
Quote Reply
Re: [mitia127] USENET Plugin In reply to
You might want to look at some of the free news to mail utilities out there. That way you can just use the mailarch plugin. news2mail.com is one such service. You just suscribe to as many groups as you like and all usenet posts are sent by email.

You then just need a method to post back to usenet.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] USENET Plugin In reply to
Any news on the usenet plugin? That would take the gforum software to another level altogether... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] USENET Plugin In reply to
Hi Paul,

I'm also looking at switching from vB to Gforum. Have you made a decision on where you're headed?

Shri
Quote Reply
Re: [cortez] USENET Plugin In reply to
Done.

Check the following thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: [shriram] USENET Plugin In reply to
I finished the plugin (almost) but I haven't been using it. I never got around to finishing the outgoing post part of it.

It's packaged as a complete plugin that can be installed through the Plugin Manager. It uses the Gossamer libraries where appropriate and doesn't rely on any CPAN modules. I wrote a lightweight NNRP class and a lightweight Article class.

There are a few optional CPAN modules you can use if you like. The plugin will automatically detect and use them. One is URI::Find which will automatically hyperlink url's in messages. The other is Date:Format which does a better job than the built in Gossamer one.

It works very similar to the MailArc plugin including formatted quotes (which are configurable and use standard GForum codes), fully threaded etc. Usenet users are created as special users to allow searching by username. These users are created only in GForum so they won't interfere with Community users. The usernames are intelligently created based on their email address. This means if a posters email was "Paul J" <paulj@mydomain.com>, then a user would be created with a username of Paul J and an email of paulj@mydomain.com.

Give me a few days and I'll post it here. As I mentioned, it doesn't send outgoing posts, but I will get around to adding that eventually. Alternatively, feel free to hack around and add it yourself. :)

I'll see about getting a demo up over the weekend.

Paul

Last edited by:

paulj: Mar 17, 2005, 7:49 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Peter544] USENET Plugin In reply to
Here's some screenshots of the NewsArc USENET Plugin for GForum.

Remember, the 8th, 9th and 10th user sending a private message to the sktg account will get a free promotional full functioning copy of the plugin.

Last edited by:

sktg: Mar 18, 2005, 7:19 AM