Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Transferring database between two gforum installations

Quote Reply
Transferring database between two gforum installations
Hello
  • I have set up a set of groups and forums on a demo server.
  • I now have the 'real' forum uploaded and working on another server - I used the same download of gforum
  • How do I extract the database from the demo installation and restore it to the new one?

Just to make things more interesting, I used different table prefixes on the two installations and I suspect the servers use different versions of mySQL with the server I want to import to using a later version.

If this is not easy, then I'll just make a large pot of coffee and start re-creating the groups/forums again - there are no posts or users in yet

Thanks
--
5230n0155w

Last edited by:

keithpeter: Sep 17, 2005, 2:43 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [keithpeter] Transferring database between two gforum installations In reply to
You could try do a mysqldump, edit the dump to change the prefix (search and replace), the import the dump.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Transferring database between two gforum installations In reply to
In Reply To:
You could try do a mysqldump, edit the dump to change the prefix (search and replace), the import the dump.

Yup - the dump from the demo forum went fine.

I tried importing the dump through the SQL monitor and it wrote off the database (had to initialise the forum using Initial Setup).

So how do you do the import....?
--
5230n0155w
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Transferring database between two gforum installations In reply to
In Reply To:

I'm sorted now using the phpMySQLadmin application that is present on both servers. I dumped the forum tables and then imported them onto the new server having dropped the previous empty forum tables.

I had to use the server control panel to protect the admin directory - the script in the forum would not work, I guess this is a server set up issue.

Thanks
--
5230n0155w