Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Three quick questions

Quote Reply
Three quick questions
I am really close to taking the plunge. A few questions.
  1. How well will future upgrades of Gossamer Forums behave in regards to modifications that Forum owners may make?
  2. I have an existing board containing roughly 3,000 posts. But it has very limited fields; name, date, e-mail addy, and body of post - no user id/password. Does that present a problem when I import them?
  3. My database guy wants me to find a conversion map. He's written the parser for the flat HTML files that we'll pull the old board posts from. What the hell is a "conversion map" and where do I find it?

Many thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [heavybombers] Three quick questions In reply to
An extra question:
  • What date/time format being used, ex: 1006062392
Many thanks
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What date/time format being used, ex: 1006062392
Yep, unixtime is being used for all date/time.

Adrian
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
How well will future upgrades of Gossamer Forums behave in regards to modifications that Forum owners may make?
Depends what kinds of modifications you make Smile Adding code through the plugin system should have no problems with future upgrades, nor should making additions/changes to templates.

In Reply To:
I have an existing board containing roughly 3,000 posts. But it has very limited fields; name, date, e-mail addy, and body of post - no user id/password. Does that present a problem when I import them?
If they don't have any user id, then you can add them as Guest/Anonymous posts. Other than that, off the top of my head, I don't see any problems wiith doing such an import (I had to write the import for WWWThreads, and UBB).

In Reply To:
My database guy wants me to find a conversion map. He's written the parser for the flat HTML files that we'll pull the old board posts from. What the hell is a "conversion map" and where do I find it?
You can see what fields are available in the database by looking at GForum/SQL.pm (or at mysql). Best way of importing would be writing another import module like the way the WWWThreads and UBB imports are done. See admin/tools/import.pl, admin/GForum/Import.pm, admin/GForum/Import/*.
Most of that code should be commented enough to understand how it should be done Smile

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi,

Adding to what Adrian said, try to avoid making changes to the code. Once you get your head around the templates, and template globals, you can make quite complex changes very easily.

Plugins are another way to make changes, but require a bit more work.

Both types of changes will survive upgrades without problems (although we still have a few issues to polish up as shown with the 1.0 -> 1.1 upgrade).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.