Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

The new Gforum?

Quote Reply
The new Gforum?
When will be finished the new Gforum?
Hey you must have quite a lot of emails with this question, ?

Just an idea what bothers me the most about this script:Pirate
1) If I click replay or post new there is a long loading time for the WYSIWYG editor. I don’t know if this has something to do with the server, because here on this forum it works faster, but I’m also running PHPBB on the same server and thee is no this problem.
2) If I want to post an image so it shows on as image, not as an attachment I have to click 10 times and none of the regular users understands how to do this even if I try to explain it.
http://www.forum.ufoseek.com/gforum.cgi?post=104#104
3) Is there someone who has little search engine optimization skills on your team? I’m not talking just about those miles long URLs, but generally Gforum is not optimized for SE at all. I know I can optimize it, but it would feel much better if it was optimized at last little bit. For example the title tags or if someone would write simple robots.txt to prevent the Googles double content filters, etc.
4) colors: if there is a link with no underline and black as the text around it, it is pretty hard to guess that it is a link.

5) I would be glad if someone would make tutorial about SE optimization of the Gforum, because thee are too many unreliable information in this forum.

6) I would love the archiv with static pages; similar to Vbulletin.

Most of the other script developers have the SE friendly URLs already in admin option in their scripts.
SEO is what will sell your products. That’s why I bought the Lsql.

Last edited by:

modifier: Apr 18, 2005, 10:43 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [modifier] The new Gforum? In reply to
Agree with you completely - I logged in to complain about the redundant posts when you move a post. Every time I move a post it replicated 4 times.

Most annoying.

Second - please help with a fix to the link -- TERRIBLE -- 4) colors: if there is a link with no underline and black as the text around it, it is pretty hard to guess that it is a link.

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] The new Gforum? In reply to
One more think I don’t like is that the new flag doesn’t show on the min forum so you have to click every forum to find the new massages in them if you didn’t see them all at the first time. The new flag on the min forum shows only ones, but if you have more new threads in one forum and you only look at one and then click home page you will loose track of the other ones, because the new flag on the min forum is gone. I hope you can understand me. Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [domino] The new Gforum? In reply to
I think GT is getting to be something like an old lady and I don’t expect any obvious progress; which is sad. Unimpressed
Quote Reply
Please any reply from GT on this?
I would need the new Gforum for a new project, otherwise I'll choose a PHP solution.
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Hi,

Most of your questions/complaints revolve around the default template set and SEO. This is getting a major overhaul in the next version to bring it in line with Gossamer Links, and hopefully will address all your concerns.

As for the new posts, please see:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=224585#224585

for how the new counts work on the post list pages and the forum list pages. That may provide some more information.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] The new Gforum? In reply to
Yes new XHTML template is needed but what about new features? It will be a major version (Gforum 2)?
For example a feature I would like to have is the ability to use one Gforum installation with two different websites (residing on the same server of course). The user database would be shared but the templates and the forum settings have to be different and with more Gcommunity integration in mind.
As soon as you have a timeframe please post it Smile

P.S. My hope is also for a new Gcommunity with XHTML templates, extended and documented APIs/hooks to make the plugin creation process easier thus the ability to use Gcommunity as auth mechanism for third party scripts...
Max

Last edited by:

maxpico: Sep 23, 2005, 4:14 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

it would be great if you would implement the "payment feature" (the same thing as you currently have on G-Links 3.0) into the new version of Gossamer-FORUM.
It would be great to have a G-Forum as a stand-alone website (without G-Links) and to let the users pay for forum-entries (also to be able to set forum-categories which are free for posting and others to be paid for).

Are you going to implement this feature ?

Best regards,

Erich
Quote Reply
Re: [erichcyber] The new Gforum? In reply to
 The most important is the SEO, fast loading, browser compatibility and functionality.

PS: I don’t think the new Gforum will be ready any time soon. I would say sometimes on the end of 2006 the earliest.

Last edited by:

domino: Oct 7, 2005, 10:13 AM
Quote Reply
and also advanced RSS, XML handling and feeds...

PS: I think it will come about a year before your prevision, domino. Btw, I need it asap.
Max
Quote Reply
Hi

I was wondering whether it would be possible to factor in some new advanced search functions especially to make things easier for the GT Community Forum, for example being able to select more than one forum in a search but not all, search from a specific date to another date and maybe in view of a new template set you may be able to come up with a few different ways of displaying results (although the present version is pretty clear). Just a few ideas !

Like max I'd love to see some real integration with community like being able to manager the user profile in community and this being relayed over to the forum like a user photo that could be modified in community and used in the forum and just basically making it easier to have fields from different applications updated via community...

Thanks

PS : I don't consider GT to be like an old lady, more of a company with a lot of experience ;)
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] The new Gforum? In reply to
All what is needed is simplifications and optimization. Who needs so many buttons? For example print button, everyone knows how to print a page. And the print page is very bad for SEO. This page triggers the Googles double content filters.
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] The new Gforum? In reply to
I understand that many people get tired of people who are asking when the new forum script will be finished. But look, I’m tired of GT also, because the only reason I bought this script more than two years ago was because I was told the new version is coming up soon. So how am I suppose to feel now. I was even told that I shouldn’t modify the script, or optimize it, because the new version will be already optimized. I feel so stupid I didn’t buy the script from other developers who are far ahead comparing to this script.