Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Temp. password error/ email validation errors

Quote Reply
Temp. password error/ email validation errors
We are running Gossamer 1.1.8 on Windows NT and running into a problem with email validation and temp. password emails. It seems to run ok the 1st time Apache is rebooted but doesn't work subsequently. We are connecting to a smtp server. Attached is a trace of the problem.

The Admin console shows that a temporary password was assigned. Seems like an "email connection" problem. How do I verify this ? The user gets a "blank page".

On the "New user" signup, the user gets the following message:
  • Unable to send validation email: Unable to send mail: GT::Mail::Send (325): SMTP: Service not available: [undefined] at /Apache/htdocs/gforum/admin/GT/Mail/Send.pm line 140.

How can I debug this problem ?

Note: we are also running the "subscribe.pl" script every hour and it is working ok.

TIA

dbforum[/b]
Quote Reply
Re: [dbforum] Temp. password error/ email validation errors In reply to
Hi,

The error happens when you send through SMTP, and the SMTP server does not display a welcome message upon connecting. For instance, when you connect to gossamer-threads.com, you see:

220 gossamer-threads.com ESMTP

If the server returns a 400/500 error code, or it doesn't display anything, GT::Mail aborts.

Can you try using a different SMTP server and see if it makes a difference? Also, try checking your smtp mail logs for any errors.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Temp. password error/ email validation errors In reply to
Alex,

Our smtp server is a virtual host which round-robins among various actual hosts. I will try to get an actual host name for testing...

You may want to handle this use-case in your next release...

Thanks

dbforum
Quote Reply
One other thing, are you running this under mod_perl or other persistent environment?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Alex,

We are running mod_perl..

dbforum
Quote Reply
I don't know if this is possible, but it might also be useful to run this under regular cgi and see if the error happens. That might help track things down.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Just something I noticed in that debugging....

Parsing 'whos_online.html' with (print => 1, compress => 0, strict => , escape => 1)

strict is neither 0 or 1
Quote Reply
Alex,

I tested the stmp server with Telnet. It is able to connect on port 25 with the following message:

220 msgmro103nts.fmr.com ESMTP Server (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service 5.5.2654.89) ready

1.Are you using port 25 to test the connection ? The telnet port is not available for this virtual server.

Thanks

dbforum