Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Tags
It seems that when using the [tag name] tags, they dont cut off. For example, if I use
Code:
and accidently put
Code:
at the end (note there is no forward slash) it would just make the whole post into code from the first code tag. Am I making myself understood? Ok, see the example below;

Code:
here is where the code should start
Code:

And here is where it should not affect, but cos I used the incorrect tag at the end of the line it carrys on everywhere!

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: Tags In reply to

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile

can't read the code :?
Quote Reply
I can't edit Frown See my bug report in the post above this Wink It is meant to say;

-------------------------
It seems that when using the [tag name] tags, they dont cut off. For example, if I use [code] and accidently put [code] at the end (note there is no forward slash) it would just make the whole post into code from the first code tag. Am I making myself understood? Ok, see the example below;

Code:
here is where the code should start
Code:

And here is where it should not affect, but cos I used the incorrect tag at the end of the line it carrys on everywhere!

NOTE: I had to use .'s in the tags, otherwise the forum made them live Wink
-----------------

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
There's a hidden feature in there - alter the URL and add the parameter:
Code:
literal=1
and you'll be able to see exactly what was posted.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Where would you expect the [code] to end?

What would you do if someone writes: [code][code]abc[/code][/code].

What you are suggesting, if I understand you correctly, is this:

For tags that have a /tag, only change them if the /tag can be found.

Well, the problem with that is that the markup in Gossamer Forum is totally admin controlled - they could create any tags that look like anything they want, the only condition being that the tag is surrounded by [ ] (Actually, an admin could even go beyond this - notice all markup posts containing Gossamer Threads convert Gossamer Threads into a link).

Now, let's say I'm the admin, and I think the default blue text is a little too light to go on the blue background, and so I want to darken it a bit, perhaps like this blue. So, I go into the admin, and edit the [blue] tag making it
Code:
<font color="#0000B0">
instead of
Code:
<font color="blue">
If all the posts were stored in their HTML format, this would mean that only new posts are going to show up with blue like this instead of like this.

That's not so great. To get over this, the way the forum was designed is that whatever you enter - be it markup, HTML, or a combination of the two - is stored in the database. This provides the added advantage that the program does not have to guess how to change HTML back into markup - it will always display exactly what was enetered. It also allows for features like the undocumented literal=1 that I mentioned in this thread. If it's Markup (or the combined HTML/Markup style) all markup will be converted every time the page is displayed.

Obviously, this isn't too fast, however our tests show that the actual conversion speed really doesn't slow down the display very much. If we had to go through and find the start and end of each tag, it would definately slow it down. So, the only solution would be to store the posts in HTML format - in which case the admin changes would not be visible.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I'd say the easy solution would be to just make sure you close your tags properly!

Ps: Any chance smilie code can be put back to what it was like Smile instead of Smile - I keep forgetting them :)

I notice some are the same like Laugh

Last edited by:

PaulWilson: Sep 8, 2001, 6:23 PM
Quote Reply

That would be [smile] instead of [:)]

Quote Reply
[smile] still works - [:)] is just a new way you can write it.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Ahhhhh cool. Hehe.....can't catch you out :)

Quote Reply
Ugh just read the markup page and saw my mistake.

I glanced at the first smilie ([:)]) and didn't look further down to see [smile]

Sorry.