Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Suggestion: Kill File

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Suggestion: Kill File
Hi Alex

Any chance of implementing a kill file for these boards?? It would be most appreciated.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Can you explain that a bit more? Do you mean like for newsgroups?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Quick definition for those who don't know....(not referring to you Alex obviously).

http://www.tuxedo.org/...entry/kill-file.html

....http://www.tuxedo.org/...tml/entry/plonk.html Tongue

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 19, 2001, 1:18 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
On a slightly related topic Id like a way to be able to filter pm's so I can accept from some people and block others.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex

Well, more like a filter I was thinking. In a forum with high traffic, maybe it would be nice to set your custom filters as to what messages you see.

For instance if you're a developer and interested in developing high-levels of the GT scripts then maybe you'd want to kill all posts referencing the term "newbie".

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
Good idea in theory, but in practice...virtually impossible.

N-eWbiE....

New_Bie---

---new_bie----

NeuBie-----

NewBee....
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 20, 2001, 9:40 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Works great for Usenet....

- wil
Quote Reply
I don't believe that you could filter all the variations of string values within any type of electronic message, Will, including Usenet.

My point is that while you could "catch" common spellings of words to filter, it is not foul-proof, and I am unsure whether it would be the worth the effort to program and maintain.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>My point is that while you could "catch" common spellings of words to filter, it is not foul-proof, <<

Ah but you could filter out posts where users have a certain status...ie "New Member" or a certain username.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 21, 2001, 8:35 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
That would make better sense than trying to filter based on string values in messages or subjects.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Ah but you could filter out posts where users have a certain status...ie "New Member" or a certain username.

you might get a genius who has just registered, then you wouldn't be able to read their posts. catch 22.

R
Quote Reply
Hi

Well, sorry, but it works absolute wonders for me with Forte Agent and reading Usenet groups. I just kill any posts made by certain individuals or ones with keywords in the subject line. I also kill messages that have ALL CAPITAL LETTERS or similar.

The amount of traffic I read has gone down to about 70% and I only see the messages I am actually interested in.

Rgds

- wil
Quote Reply
While you can filter common spellings and variations of words...it is not foul-proof in my opinon.

Like I already gave as an example:

New_Be
New_bie

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
>>
Like I already gave as an example:

New_Be
New_bie
<<

I doubt someone would make a post with strange spellings just to get around the filtering.

Also this would be irrelevant if filtering by username or status.

If wildcarding was added it would also be irrelevant.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 22, 2001, 10:01 AM
Quote Reply
Wildcarding is very dangerous.

Example of Bad Word Filter:

Association
Jackass

Example of newbie/expert filter:

New Software
new copies

I assume that you are thinking of filtering based on new* or ass*. Not a good idea!

And about the userid/perm type of filtering, I think that the ryel01 brought up a good point...Just because someone has joined a forum doesn't mean that they are a "newbie" to programming or scripting.

Thus, I think that my arguments are NOT irrelevant, Paul.

Also, like heated discussions about this issue have arisen in the past, I think it would be counterproductive to separate users in public forums. Each set of users has a right to post questions and comments (like you have stated time and time again)...excluding someone based on lack of knowledge is not a very good idea.

In addition, just because someone has a "veteran" or "expert" status means nothing, since that person may not really be an expert, but only posts a lot of posts in the forum.

Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Dec 22, 2001, 10:21 AM
Quote Reply
>>
I assume that you are thinking of filtering based on new* or ass*. Not a good idea!
<<

Well thats up to the person doing the filtering.

>>
I think it would be counterproductive to separate users in public forums. Each set of users has a right to post questions and comments (like you have stated time and time again)...excluding someone based on lack of knowledge is not a very good idea.
<<

Same again, its up the the person doing the filtering (who may not think like you). If they want to ignore someone they'll do it anyway....adding filtering just means they won't have to see the posts.

Quote Reply
Okay...I see what you mean...I think we are talking about the same thing but from different perspectives...I am thinking from the admin's viewpoint of setting up filters.

What you are alluding to is each individual user perspective, correct?

That may be a good idea...and I have already recommended implementing a "ban" system that basically would accomplish this. But you are coming from the persepctive of ignoring threads or posts where users have responded to, correct?

And what you are implying is that users would be able to choose to read or ignore those posts, correct?
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Yes Im talking from the users point of view.

>>But you are coming from the persepctive of ignoring threads or posts where users have responded to, correct? <<

Not necessarily, filtering by status/username wouldn't require it.

I mean either filtering out users completely by their user account (ie username/status/email) or by post/thread topic (ie subject line, common words) etc.

Quote Reply
Hi Eliot

Yes, I am coming from an user's point of view. Something an Administtrator would have no control over. Well, saying that, maybe they could flag up some messages as broadcasted to everyone, like the Announcement section - but I doubt people would filter those out anyway.

It just works so well for Usenet. I kill all posts with "newbie" or "HELP!!!!!" in the subject line and my number of posts are dramaticaly reduced and I am left to concentrate on the more advanced stuff.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi Alex

Interesting developments @ http://slashdot.org today:

Slashdot Code Update

You will likely notice a variety of changes in the comments system if you are logged in. Most of these changes surround the new 'Zoo' system which implements (among other things) a sort of killfile function, and much more. Logged in users have the ability to flag each other as Friends or Foes, and assign bonuses and penalties appropriately. So if a user annoys you, you can easily not read their comments any more. If you notice any bugs, feel free to submit them or let krow or me know.

Is this on a to-do list, or would this be up to someone to write a hack?

Cheers

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 4, 2002, 1:57 AM
Quote Reply
Has there been any progress on an IGNORE USER plug-in?
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Jag replied to you here....

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Paul,

Thanks for the amazing plug-in!
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Erm, forgive me for saying so but Jag pointed you to my thread saying my plugins are no longer available.

Who gave you a copy?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Suggestion: Kill File In reply to
Paul,

I think you removed the Block_User.tar file from this post yesterday:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...string=bored;#214321

I just kept looking for posts, made by you, about Block User and after about 10 minutes of looking through posts, I found your original message with the file attached - so no one sent it to me, it was in the forum. I hope I have not offended you.
> >