Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Sigs
Is it a good idea that Signatures are put into the message in 'real-time'? Why isn't the signature embeded into the message when you post it?

I could post a 1000 message on this board, and then with a few clicks change my signature to include some nice piece of advertising and bang all my posts are changed! That's the extreme line...

I dunno. Just wondered really why has it been built in this way? Why not embed the signature into the message?

Just thought what the idea was behind that?

Thanks

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [wil] Sigs In reply to
Didnt realise it was Tongue

Andy

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

On the other hand, if you change your website, you just update your signature and all posts are updated.

That's the motivation behind it. All tags are kept as is as well so it will make displaying the content in different ways much easier (for instance display in WML for cell phones, or the formatting for email can be much nicer, etc).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Sigs In reply to
Alex

Interesting. Just a bit annoying when going to change my sig and then looking at my posts. It makes a lot of my posts look stupid.

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers

- wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 13, 2001, 10:17 AM
Quote Reply
Can you give me an example where it looks bad?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Sigs In reply to
Not really stupid or bad, sorry a bit of an exaguration there. It just seems odd revisitng old posts, after making changes to my sig.

I understand your point on having the signature change in real-tme. Just never seen this done before, and found it a bit strange. I'm used to posting my post, and the text on it therefore remains static unless I edit it. Too familiar with the usenet networks perhaps. Maybe times has moved on!

Rgds

- wil

Last edited by:

wil: Sep 14, 2001, 1:15 AM