Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Signup Process

Quote Reply
Signup Process
Hi

Is it me or is the signup process really too simple? It just asks you for a username, password and that is it.

I don't like the idea of that's all that is set. Is there a way to.. when the user clicks on the validation link in the email it confirms your username, and then transfers you to your personal settings page - to encourage people to fill out the information there! otherwise i don't see people bothering to be honest.

I just assume that you should ask for a realname and a few preferences, can this be done after the user clicks the validate link or before hand even? I hate to see people joining "blindly" without entering any information.

Also there's no terms of agreement or anything to be bound to? I've seen a few other forums now implement a different signup for over 8 (?) and under 8 (?)? Is this going to be implemented?

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Signup Process In reply to
nice idea ... but I guess you could always edit the templates Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Signup Process In reply to
The signup page can contain any fields in the User table, as can the profile pages.

Also, it would be relatively easy to add a terms of agreement page - just go into the action editor and add a new "user_signup_agreement" action/page. Have an "I agree" link that goes to gforum.cgi?do=user_signup. Then, change the "Sign me up" link to "gforum.cgi?do=user_signup_agreement" instead of "do=user_signup". You're done! You could string a few agreement pages in there - for example the one that only lets people 13 years of age or older to sign up.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: Signup Process In reply to
ughhh stringed signup pages like signup for this that these and those mail magazines or discount clubs ... ughghgh 13 and over is great but the other types like the above example are the pits !

coool that we can do that though

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Signup Process In reply to
I just tried adding a few more fields on the signup page, and when somebody signs up, these additional fields are automatically stored in the user table. Very handy.

There is a small problem: when somebody fills is the additional fields and an error occurs (e.g. the username is already taken), the values of the additional fields are not transferred, i.e. they are blank.

How would I fix that?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins