Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Server load problems for 1.1.8?

Quote Reply
Server load problems for 1.1.8?
Have there been any reports of high server load for 1.1.8? After running smoothly for over six months, my host now reports the gforum script eating 100% of cpu resources. I upgraded on Friday and it's a Win2000 install.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Server load problems for 1.1.8? In reply to
Sorry to slightly divert but did I miss an announcement for 1.1.8?...I didn't know it was ready.

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 10, 2002, 11:27 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Server load problems for 1.1.8? In reply to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=213168#213168

I installed in Friday.
Quote Reply
What's the best way to roll back to 1.1.7? I still have that install package, but am afraid of screwing the db all to heck by running it.

Suggestions?
Quote Reply
I strongly doubt that the small changes from 1.1.7 to 1.1.8 are the culprit. However, that said, it should be possible to "upgrade" your forum to 1.1.7 using the 1.1.7 installer.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Server load problems for 1.1.8? In reply to
It appears to be behaving now. At least the load hasn't snowballed. I don't know who to throw stuff at, but I guess it's not you guys Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Server load problems for 1.1.8? In reply to
Can you go beyond 'strongly doubt' to know for sure? My hosting service has shut down my forum, saying in part:

"Your script times out by going into some sort of loop, which confirms that the problem is with the reliability of this particular script and not the reliability of our servers.

In your account notes, it states that you placed an upgrade to an existing script. If this is the case, then we would have to wonder if there is something in this new version that is not quite right and is the cause of the problem. There are also no records of issues with your site until just a day or so previously. Since this upgrade was performed during this timeframe, it is suspect to the problems at hand and quite possibly, you need to review your script. The rest of your site is not affected at all."

Are any other Win2K / SQL 2000 installations running 1.1.8? This would not be the first time I've stumbled across an error unique to this platform configuration.

I'm headed to the gym to beat the crap out of the punching bag.

Quote Reply
Some days were meant for anger management. After the previous message that I posted an extract from, I returned to find this in my box:

"We have found an issue that we feel will correct the CGI scripting issue with your script on the server. We have re-enabled your site. We feel that the corrections made will now stabilize your script."

Mad

Grrrrr....

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Sep 12, 2002, 10:41 PM
Quote Reply
I'd love to hear what the issue was. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Server load problems for 1.1.8? In reply to
Yeah you and me both. I suspect they won't want to actually admit what they had messed up.

I hate looking for a new host, it's such a pain in the #@%!.
Quote Reply
Quote:
I hate looking for a new host, it's such a pain in the #@%!.

You're sitting right on top of a new host! Been with Gossamer-Host for a month now and so far so good. Alex and the crew obviously know their own software and they know how to tune a server to run it. Consider them and feel free to contact me if you want to talk off-line.

Safe swoops
Sangiro

Last edited by:

sangiro: Sep 13, 2002, 11:11 AM