Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Search sucks :(

Quote Reply
Search sucks :(
GT, can you do some more work on the search part of the forum? I'm trying to find some threads here, but its impossible. I get mixed date orders, invalid results, and threads that don't have anything to do with my query :( I'm trying to find a thread I made 2-3 weeks ago, but the search isn't having any of it Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Search sucks :( In reply to
I've never had any problems...perhaps its the person doing the search =)

If you say what you are trying to find I'll have a go to see if I can find it.
Quote Reply
I won't say it sucks, but I will say that the results make no sense to me. I know the results certainly make no sense to my users who could care less about the how or the why.

The response from staff will be that search results are "ordered by their relevance" because of some indexing issue.

However, I've never been able to determine from the forum search results what the heck they were relevant to. Tongue

It's particularly frustrating since Post Time is so clearly displayed.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Search sucks :( In reply to
Once I find another result that doesn't work correctly, I'll post it here. I can't remember the exact query I was using earlier, but it certainly didn't help me find the post I was looking for :( It just doesn't seme to like $ or other charachers like that (i.e " ' \ etc).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Search sucks :( In reply to
Hi,

The relevancy is determined by the number of times a keyword was found. i.e. if I search for the word 'Gossamer' and it's found once in the message body in one post, and in another post it's found twice in the message body, the second post will come up higher in the results. Also if a word is found in the subject, it's given more weight. So if Gossamer appears in the subject, it will come up higher then another post that has Gossamer twice in the message body.

If you don't want to use the relevancy, you can switch to NONINDEXED indexing (goto Tools->Post I believe). This will always sort by date, by may be slower on large forums.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Jun 17, 2003, 11:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Search sucks :( In reply to
Found one;

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/..._username=&mh=25

Searching for 'Spider' in advanced search (LSQL Plugins/Dev forum).

I know for a fact there are threads which contain Spider in, because one of those was my threads (which is why I was doing the search) Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well errr.....you aren't going to find any results searching by Username Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Search sucks :( In reply to
So you can't search by query and Username at the same time? Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Of course, but you are trying to search for posts by a user called "Spider". You should be selecting "Subject and Body" and then entering "Andy" in the "Show posts by:" field Crazy

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...rname=Andy&mh=50
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Search sucks :( In reply to
Alex, an example;

-v

Everything as default, except the query. I was trying to find some posts by Wil about sendmail problems. He posted the '-v' phrase in one of his posts today, but it doesn't even find that :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk