Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Search field in Forum!

Search field in Forum!
Hello Alex!

What has been an extra click for about 10.000 users of yours is still there!

Lets say 5% needs to search the forum they are in. That means about 500 users. All this users shall have to click on the button "Search or posts forums" and then go in to search area. Then they define something in the keyword field and choose the forum.

Why should this remain as a stupid programming, simply following what others did?

If I am in a Forum area, lets call Links SQL Discussion Forum, then that page produced MUST know which forum it is there and offer a small field directly where a user could insert a keyword and search that forum directly.

In the absence of this one has to click alway which is a fundamental mistake in the basic concept of Programming.

--------------

I seriously hope that you comeout with a possibility to offer some of your efforts of excellent programming to your Liscenced users in a way that the users of WWWthreads could easily migrate to this forum in an inexpensive way and land on a centralized system through your Master Community plug-in.

-------------

Or something like, Sell a "buldle of software with a package FREE!!!" if one buys two or more products. For e.g. If one buys Links SQL + GMail then the liscense to Forum would be included. This would promote sales of other products which are on a low in sales like Gmail as compared to your flagship product.

----------------

Moreover I also beleive that Community-plugin MUST be FREE too.

Last edited by:

rajani: Nov 3, 2001, 10:55 PM

Re: [rajani] Search field in Forum! In reply to
I don't appreciate the stupid programming comment, but:

Quote:
If I am in a Forum area, lets call Links SQL Discussion Forum, then that page produced MUST know which forum it is there and offer a small field directly where a user could insert a keyword and search that forum directly.

Have you looked at the bottom of the page? Been there for quite some time now.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Re: [Alex] Search field in Forum! In reply to
Hello Alex!

I certainly did not mean at you but at WWWthreads, which I do think it has some things that somehow always irritates me.

No, I did not see it. Had I seen that, I would have not placed the message. Excuse me. My sincere Appologies. Thats why your work is always better.

But things like this, like such important fields of searches and changing the forum could have been on the top. Thats very comfortable and handy. Sometimes I land in a long thread and one has to scrool down to get into it or jump to anathor. Hence I would have given priority to place more important functions than Gestaltung which looks nice.

Similar to news.com, how they do and what, its very intellegent and easy to follow with.

Last edited by:

rajani: Nov 4, 2001, 11:06 AM

Rajani,

If you are using the forum software for your own site you can easily change the templates to lay out the forum to your particular taste. If you are referring to this forum then a certain level of manners when making such a comment would be well received by the GT staff.

Also from reading other posts of yours it seems that you often make mistakes or overlook things and blame it on GT's programming. I personally don't know how you have the nerve to criticize GT's programming when you can't even look further than your nose to find the forum's search box.

No-one else experiences all the problems you experience and so if it was infact the code then it would affect everyone....try looking closer to home for the real problem.

Re: [RedRum] Search field in Forum! In reply to
Hello Red Rum!

What I find is yourself like a ploliceman of Alex and GT!

Why dont you do other things and keep out of my threads.

If Alex wants to complain to my messages, he has the authotority to do it and I have the right to react to it, which I did.

Its not between you and me and there is no reason why you need to place messages to bug me. The same applies to other people who simply works like policeman in a nasty way.

And do not enter in to anathor fight like before.

Quote:
If Alex wants to complain to my messages, he has the authotority to do it and I have the right to react to it, which I did.

As administrator he also has to remain professional and polite and so even if he wanted to say something to you he couldn't.

Quote:
Its not between you and me and there is no reason why you need to place messages to bug me. The same applies to other people who simply works like policeman in a nasty way.

I'm not bugging you Rajani....just making a simple factual statement.

Quote:
Why dont you do other things and keep out of my threads.

I've said what I wanted to say.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 5, 2001, 4:32 AM

Re: [RedRum] Search field in Forum! In reply to
Hello there!

I just do not ever ever want you to answer my threads.

Your way is more of a fingering than anything else, purely out of some kind of enjoying power of bossing around on the threads of your choice.

If you have time to simply bark, do this but not to my threads. Look at my threads and just do not answer. Keep it away.

I hope you got my message. Barking more and more, you only prove your naive quality of doing so, since a long time. You should have got the message a long time ago, but however you kept on doing it over and over again and again.

I dont want to ever answer my threads. I do not care if you make any factual statements. I do not need any advice from you. Understand.

If I did not see something and placed a message, the intention was an improvement behind it and not an abuse or curse or ignorance. If it did not come through in the right way, because of my english or in a hurry, then its my problem to appologise. Its certainly not your problem or anyone elses to play like a mother and sing a lullaby here.

If you have more time play around but not on my threads.

I really don't care if this if "barking" or whatever the hell you call it but dude, this is a public forum for anyone who uses the programs. You can tell Paul or whoever to stay out and they can keep coming back. If you only want Alex to respond, then don't post here. Send an email.
Quote:
If you have more time play around but not on my threads
You act as if you own the thread legally... it's humorous.

Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net

Quote:
you only prove your naive quality of doing so,

Lol....now that is a contradiction Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Post deleted by RedRum In reply to

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 5, 2001, 9:53 AM

Rajani, you have built up a reputation of being very difficult to deal with.

When you post something like "Why should this remain as a stupid programming, simply following what others did?" or that the programming of Gossamer Forum is a "fundamental mistake in the basic concept of Programming" it is not taken as constructive critisism, but instead as rude and an insult against GT and in particularly, myself, who programmed the majority of the code and functionality.

If your suggestion was something like "I think it would be a good idea to add a search box to search the current forum," then it would have been much better received - people would probably have directed you to the box at the bottom of the screen, and people wouldn't have taken it as an insult to the work of Gossamer Threads. Instead, you call us stupid for not putting in a feature. Do you see the difference?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Re: [jagerman] Search field in Forum! In reply to
Quote:
Rajani, you have built up a reputation of being very difficult to deal with.

Ask Alex, how many times I have placed messages. Today I am using Links SQL 1.13 and am not even able to upgrade it. Since one and a half year. Is this fun? Ask me, how many hours did I invest in working togather with Links SQL v1.13, placing messages in this forums simply writing and writing, Editing templates again and again, Installing again and again.

I have had a lot of problems of fundamental programming mistakes by Gossamer Threads and if I want to criticize, I may do so because I have to go through pain and tourchure, spending hours and hours resulting into an effervences of pain and anger.

You may be programming many nice things but when you forget inserting the reference of library like "use GT::XX::YY", then rajani is not a friend, because he has spend five hours in the garbage. With this carelessness in mind I somehow am not able to do anything against it.

Are all the problems I have are simply because of my language that I cannot write better?

What controls have you and GT staff put on all kinds of answers people place in their messages. Has there been any dicipline? Any guidelines?

So where am I difficult? Is there only one side to see things? How many people have discarded this forum because of such behaviour of others bossing around?

Quote:
When you post something like "Why should this remain as a stupid programming, simply following what others did?" or that the programming of Gossamer Forum is a "fundamental mistake in the basic concept of Programming" it is not taken as constructive critisism, but instead as rude and an insult against GT and in particularly, myself, who programmed the majority of the code and functionality.

This was certainly not related to Gossamer Threads, but to WWWthreads. This program had some awefull and troublesome problems that I could not understand why people do all this. You can read my message clearly, where I said it as a reference.

In my mind, it was that this is a final beta and perhaphs similar to WWWthreads. Since the earlier version of this forum was WWWthreads and I am not aware of the core difference within the core programming. I simply compared to the earlier WWWthreads forum that was here and the new beta coming. Hence I said, please change this part as it was in my mind earlier many many times when GT used WWWthreads. I think I also had placed the messages relating this. Thats why I said why not change it in the new version before final. So it was not criticizing your work at all.

Quote:
If your suggestion was something like "I think it would be a good idea to add a search box to search the current forum," then it would have been much better received - people would probably have directed you to the box at the bottom of the screen, and people wouldn't have taken it as an insult to the work of Gossamer Threads. Instead, you call us stupid for not putting in a feature. Do you see the difference?

-------------------The first message quote-----------------------------------
Why should this remain as a stupid programming, simply following what others did?

Where did I call you stupid? I simply meant that there is something that I did not like and found STUPID! So please do not continue the same WWWthread missing feature.

Actually, it was removed!!! I did not see it. So the things are already GONE?
-------------------------------------------------------

Here we are talking about the knowledge of english and dealing with it. So either one sees the point or one starts to attack the other.I am not perticularly used to write and correspond a lot in english. I was in a hurry and I said this with reference to WWWthreads as you can read it. I immediately appologised when I saw that Alex commented on it and I read again that the message comes out different than I thought.

Further, here the problem is that lack of control of other people who have been nicely helping in the forums. I can and am able to accept your comment to be attentive in the language. My problem is that the reaction of the police force that has been developed around this forum is just beyond imigination. People have vital interest in developing some kind of a Group and trying to somehow downgrade others and bossing around.

I was simply sure that Paul and group of some specific people had to reply. Earlier before some years, Robert Pataki had to reply. He did a lot of such stuff to me, years ago. Simply every missing feature - if rajani placed than its wrong - like in schools.

Thats my problem. I also do not care if anyone here sees my point what I am talking about. Some weeks ago, when there was a hot discussion on the problem that my database got screwed up, I received a surprising ammount of reaction from people who just did not care to participate and were angry with Paul and others. I wrote to them, why not be fair to discuss in the forums. This is something what I do not like. People crossing limits.

The matter was to be ended in the first two messages. But it continues further and further. Jagermann, your concern has been genuine as much as your choice of words and I do see what you are talking about. So I hope it gets clear into your head why I wrote the first two messages. What I cannot see and accept is others who get formed like a crowd and start barking. The point got clear earlier in the first messages.

I received two emails privately, saing that this thread will be locked. The Mafia group attack has started, so be careful. Ha!

Last edited by:

rajani: Nov 5, 2001, 2:26 PM

This thread has now been closed.

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.