Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Search displays only root posts

Quote Reply
Search displays only root posts
Hi

I know this might have been dicsussed before, but can it be an option to only show the root post of a thread in search results so that you don't see x amount of results on the same results page that are within the same thread?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Search displays only root posts In reply to
What if the search result is in a non-root post? Display root post as well?

I think this might slow down searching quite a bit. You would need to look up the root post for every post that is in your result set...

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Search displays only root posts In reply to
I had imagined this as an option on the search page:

[x] search for specific posts and display specific posts.
[ ] search for specific posts and display specific threads.

Currently, the system searches and displays results of all specific posts. What I had imagined was the search mechanism was *not* altered at all, only the way the results were displayed.

Try the following search: Search displays only root posts

Now, what you see is the root post (mine) and then all others posts within the thread beneath it.

What I am asking for is an option to only display the root post, so that you know the search term is within that *thread* and then you go looking.

I would like to see this implemented because when there are a number of posts within the same thread referencing the same thing it clutters your search results. If this thread had 20 posts, then the 20 would of been displayed using the above link which is IMO, is rather useless as it's the same I will be opening - providing I'm browsing in flat mode, that is.

- wil
Quote Reply
So, you only want to display the root post, if there are results in non root posts as well. Good.

But what do you want to do, if the post is not a root post? Display this post? Or its root post?

You would have to look up the root post for every results, which might make it slower....

Just trying to understand more clearly....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Search displays only root posts In reply to
I'd have to say mu to that one!

This would be another option, I suppose. Basically my initial thought was to supress listings in search results if the root post was listed. If the root post was down there, then I don't see the need for further posts within that thread to be listed. This is just a matter of personal preference.

I honestly don't see how this slows down the searching mechanism. Surely it just alters the way results are displayed?

And I take it all the data is exracted using XML so you can just parse the data as you wish, anyway? GT? ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Don't you mu me Wink

At the moment, the search mechanism searches for posts individually.

While it is true that the search itself would not be slower, the displaying might be considerably slower....What you would have to do, is for every post check if it is a root post, and if it is not check if the root post is also in the results.

Say you have 1000 results. For every one of the 1000 results, you would need to check 999 others if they are the root post of this one post. Multiply this. I don't know if the impact would be huge. But it might...

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
if you got japanese fonts installed ....

–³

ahhh life with zen. actually, if you understand zen ... you understand it Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
I like that idea - I've added to the TODO list.

However, one problem that prevents itself is sorting the results. Consider this situation: you have two threads, each one of them has 10 posts. In the first thread, one post mentions "foobar" 2 times, but no other post in the thread has "foobar" in it. The second thread has one occurance of "foobar" in every post. Using the current sort code (but just stripping out duplicates) it results in the thread with two occurances of foobar coming up before the one with 10 occurances. To add a true thread search, it should order the results based on the number of occurances in a thread - not in any given post in the thread. Basically what it comes down to is that to do this, we have to first update the search module to know about grouped records.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] Search displays only root posts In reply to
having this would definitely help with searching for something here at GT. Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Just a further idea: Once the root results were displayed, and you click on a root post, on the displayed page before-after the real post, you could place links to the post in the same thread, which also contained the searched word(s).
Opinion?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Aha. That does present a problem. I guess this is further down on the to-do list as hacking the search module to do this would be a big job, and a shame if stability is compromised considering how good it is functioning at the moment.

- wil
Quote Reply
Hey Jason, did this make it into 1.2.0? I get requests for this feature quite often. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Search displays only root posts In reply to
Same thing on my side... It would be really great to have this feature! Smile

François
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Search displays only root posts In reply to
The problem with this is that it wouldn't really be sufficient to just search root posts - and most forums don't offer this. The issue, instead, is that you need the ability to search a thread, rather than individual posts. This, however, is currently nor possible due to a limitation of our search driver. It's something I definitely want to address in version 2, with a new search driver, but it isn't something that I can deliver in this release.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Can't the search function in the same way but modify the template to only display posts without a "re:" in the subject?

I know this is somewhat cheating but it would fill the gap for the time being.

- wil