Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Restricting views of Forums and Categories

Quote Reply
Restricting views of Forums and Categories
I am having some difficulty (the only one so far in my new test installation) in "restricting" views of Forums and Categories.
For example:
I have a "Client Assignments" category. It will have multiple forums.
I want all visitors to see that first category title, no problem.

However, upon selecting "Client Assignments", I want to restrict access and viewing of FORUMS to registered members of specified groups only.
So: a user in Groups "PANIC" would only be able to view and further access a forum named "Panic" and no others to which he is not a group member. In this case, ONLY "Panic" would show in the forums listing; no other.

I've tried all kinds of combinations in the admin choices for restricting viewing, I think -- no luck so far. No matter what I do, no matter the group memberships, the registered user sees ALL forum titles at that level. To repeat, I want to restrict viewing AND access of forums (and of course messages) to authorized group members only.

TIA for some help here. I am enjoying trying GTForum again after an absence of more than 2 years.
Quote Reply
Re: [cajun100] Restricting views of Forums and Categories In reply to
Well, I feel a little foolish, now seeing that another (recent) thread has slipped by me on this same topic -- at least I think it is the same. Missed that one.
I will read those posts and respond here before anyone should post some of the same info here.
Quote Reply
Re: [cajun100] Restricting views of Forums and Categories In reply to
OK, I have it now. I had to change the parent-child relationships of the forums and link those to the groups. Works as I thought it should. I also should have paid more attention to the note on the admin screens "categories are underlined" !!!!