Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Restricted forum category

Quote Reply
Restricted forum category
I am just about to install gforum. I would like to have a forum category that is only for the website staff. Is there a way to set up a hidden and restricted forum category so only staffers may view and access it? I would also like the search restricted too, so that the public will not get search results from the restricted category and vice versa. I know that wwwthreads could do this, but I am not sure if gforum does also?

Quote Reply
Re: [jgkiefer] Restricted forum category In reply to
Yep, Gossamer Forum can do this. Create a group, and add all the people that you wish to have access to this forum to this group. Then create the forum, but only allow this group read/write access, and all other groups no access. People not in the group will not be able to see the forum, nor get any search results from this forum.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Restricted forum category In reply to
I would like to implement a hidden forum, but would you mind providing a bit more detail for me.

For example, you say "Create a group". Do you mean create a category? I don't see where to create a group.

Sorry for asking for baby steps here ...

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Restricted forum category In reply to
So, I found the place to add a Group, but when I fill in the name and list the users followed by clicking the Add Group button, I get this message: Grouping: Add Record Failed

• Failed to execute query: 'INSERT INTO gforum_Grouping (group_name,group_users,group_id) VALUES (?,?,NULL)' Reason: Unknown column 'group_users' in 'field list'

Anyone have any thoughts on this? We have made no modifications to the basic structure of the forum.

Thanks

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Restricted forum category In reply to
I do this and it works great. There was some talk about probs with the Group add fxn (works great for me on 1.1.8) and I thought there was a fix/patch for this.

I found the post:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=213396#213396

Last edited by:

bretzke: Nov 25, 2002, 9:53 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] Restricted forum category In reply to
Thanks, bretzke ... I replaced that file and it worked like a charm. Of course, I don't know if I screwed up anything else yet! Crazy

Steve

Visit The Guitar Diner
Quote Reply
Re: [Boomer] Restricted forum category In reply to
Nov 21, 2001, 11:11 PM

Nov 25, 2002, 8:10 AM

... One year later Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com