Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Reason for Edit

Quote Reply
Reason for Edit
Hi

A neat idea I've seen on other forums is where Moderators edit users posts, there is room for a moderator to write a 'reason for edit', and then at the bottom of the message it displays:

Post edited by Wil on Thursday, 2002.
Reason: Stupid idiot posted in wrong forum again

These can be very very handy. And an even cooler thing would be an admin option where only moderators can see the 'reason' or allow everyone to see the 'reason'.

It basically lies on the concept of giving moderators the ability to attach notes to posts to pass on information on why some actions were taken for other moderators to know. This has proved immensely useful for busy forums where a number of posts end up being moves, edited or moderated.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Reason for Edit In reply to
You can even go as far as attach notes to threads. Whoa! I'm diving into something massively cool here.

Imagine each user being able to attach notes to posts and/or threads, like those sticky things you find on your desks - postit notes! Imagine how cool this can be, and then have the option to make your notes public or private. Whoa. I'm really excited by this idea. Jeepers, if only I had the time to learn to wrie some 'plugins' ...

- wil
Quote Reply
Quick run to the bathroom before you pee your pants Smile

Nice idea, I'd prefer something more stand-out-ish rather than just a line of text under the edit line, maybe a new table row under the edited post that is a different color, like the light beige used for attachments.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 4, 2002, 9:21 AM
Quote Reply
Good idea! How about attaching this to the edit log?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Reason for Edit In reply to
> Good idea! How about attaching this to the edit log?

Yes, that makes good sense to me - it's the most logical way to present the information.

What about the bigger idea of a 'post-it note' like system? How does that sound to you? :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Reason for Edit In reply to
Alex

Is this on the to-do list? I think this is a very handy feature to avoid confustion between moderators.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Somewhat related, I think moved threads should have some sort of indication that they are moved.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Reason for Edit In reply to
Yep.

Also the option of leaving a redirect pointer in the original forum.

- wil
Quote Reply
That would be wonderfully helpful. You can't imagine how many "Where did my thread go" PMs I get a day. Or worsts, reposts.

Realiiity.com Forums