Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Reading new posts

Quote Reply
Reading new posts
Our current old board works normally like this:
1. When you go to the forum and select one subject, you only see the new messages that have been sent after your last visit.
2. When you select "Next thread", you get to the next thread with new messages.
3. After you have read all the threads with new messages, there will not be any "Next thread" link.
4. If you want to see also the old messages on the threads, you can click a link to see them.

Is there any way to "hide" the messages you have allready read and just peek the old messages if you want to? This way reading the forums every day would be much easier than having to browse through all the old messages each time.

Lauri
Quote Reply
Re: [lpa] Reading new posts In reply to
Hi,

This would be quite a difficult change to do. Typically I would think most people would come to a forum, see a list of new threads and threads with replies to it, and pick the threads they are interested in. The navigation you describe would mean the user would normally read every thread, something I'm not sure most users do.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Reading new posts In reply to
In Reply To:
Typically I would think most people would come to a forum, see a list of new threads and threads with replies to it, and pick the threads they are interested in.

That's what I mean. They should be able to see only the threads with new messages. Now there is no easy way to read only the new messages of a thread.

We have threads with over 200 messages on them. If I have 30 new messages on that thread when I next time come to the forum, how should I browse to see the new messages instead of beginning from the 1st message every time? How long are the messages new to me? Only for the time of one session or until I have read them?

Lauri

Quote Reply
Re: [lpa] Reading new posts In reply to
In Reply To:
How long are the messages new to me? Only for the time of one session or until I have read them?
If you enter a forum, then all the posts in that forum will be marked as read (ie. on the main forum listing page, it won't say there are any new posts). For that session, the posts in that forum will be still marked as new (yellow icon) until you view the post.

If you view the newest post by clicking on the -> arrow, then only that post will be marked as read.

Adrian