Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Users Table Schema

Quote Reply
Users Table Schema
Looking forward to seeing this program in the flesh.

Any chance you guys can publish the schema for the Users table (or equivalent) so that third party program developers can get a headstart on writing authentication modules?

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Users Table Schema In reply to
Would you not be better waiting for a beta. Gossamer Forum is only really in it's alpha stage so there are likely to be many changes and alterations so it may be a little early.

The forum uses a plugin system also that will allow you to create plugins straight from the admin page so it may be better doing it that way rather than making external authentication scripts.

Quote Reply
well the Users table is probably already finalized at this stage. not that it need be. just looking for a headstart.

also, i won't be plugging the other program into Gossamer Forum, but the other way around. that's why i'll need to write the auth module myself.

Quote Reply
Oops - was just about to post the structure but I better not - it's not my place to do so.

Alex or Jason will show you if they wish for the structure to be public.

I'm assuming you don't need to know the whole structure of the users table if it is just for an authentication module?

Quote Reply
actually the entire schema for the table would be good. i want to authenticate and drag back the user data for the other application.

if someone wants to post the schema i'll use it now. otherwise i can wait. i can't really do the complete module until i know where all the configuration files sit within the GT Forum distribution, and what's in them. the latter stuff might still be in flux, which is why i haven't asked about it.

the reason i'm enquiring about this is that (i believe) i've completed my Links SQL compatible review application and i thought i might add the GT Forum to the list of member databases that can be used to authenticate reviewers.

Quote Reply
I should point out one thing right away - the two password fields are (by default) encrypted using either MD5-based encryption or the old crypt() encryption, however, this is not always the case (you can set up a forum that does not use encrypted passwords, although it is not recommended).

The attached exerpt of GForum/SQL.pm (the file where the tables are created) should assist you. I can tell you for sure that the table WILL change - one of the items in my bug list is to make whether or not the "Send e-mail notification" checkbox is checked a user option - this will require a column. I don't expect for any fields currently in to change, but I cannot guarantee that.

I've also attached the User.def file.

(Oh yeah, I just noticed the file upload bug - and fixed it Wink)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
thanks jason. i'll check out the files you've attached. encryption of passwords is good. i've always wondered why Links SQL didn't implement encrypted passwords, although i guess it's only been in the last couple of years that it really has become a standard feature of web-based applications.

Quote Reply
Wooohooooo ... haven't seen this yet .... !!!

attachments to the post. do the files get stored on the host server or do they just link to the user's site ???

interesting ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
They're stored on the host.

I had to fix a bug in order to get attachments working for that post ;-)

This sounds like a new lame programmer joke - How do you get a programmer to fix a feature?

Have him start using it. ;-)

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
if you're game i have a couple more questions. what is the path (relative to /gforum) to the directory containing the User.defs file? is it /gforum/admin/defs? and what is the relative path to the ConfigData.pm file (or equivalent). i'm guessing /gforum/admin/Forum.

if i have those two files at my disposal i imagine i can extract the database login info and password encryption method to use to authenticate.

also, a look at a generic Gossamer Forum ConfigData.pm file would be good!

maybe if i get the module going, someone like Paul with a GF beta can test it out with the review program before Gossamer Forum becomes available. only if you're interested, of course.

Quote Reply
Sure, I'd love to.

Quote Reply
Quote:
what is the path (relative to /gforum) to the directory containing the User.defs file?
admin/defs

Quote:
what is the relative path to the ConfigData.pm file (or equivalent).
admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm

Adrian
Quote Reply
thanks adrian. how about the content of the file Data.pm? even if it's still in flux, a look now at a generic layout will allow me to get started and i can make adjustments when the beta comes out.

paul, i'll contact you when i have a version to play with. cheers.

Quote Reply
oh. never mind about the Config data stuff. i finally noticed the private message from jason. i'll take up the correspondence there. thanks!