Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Support grid or table?

Quote Reply
Support grid or table?
How about a grid or table function for posts? Would come in handy on my forum, don't know about others.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Support grid or table? In reply to
How you mean?
Could you explain in details?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Support grid or table? In reply to
Sure,

I'll frequently post information on my board that has a column/row layout.

Postion - Name - Date of Death/Capture/Evasion - Hometown

Would be nice to put it into a nicely formatted table...or have a tab ability. Whereas now it would look like this:

P Lt Kenneth F. Webster POW
CP 2Lt Jack (NMI) Sherman POW
N 2Lt Bradford P. Wilson POW
B 2Lt Theodore N. Emens KIA
TT T/Sgt Heskel B. Shaver POW
RO T/Sgt Robert F. Brennan POW
LW S/Sgt Julius T. Angelo KIA
RW S/Sgt Thomas H. Cleary Jr KIA
TG S/Sgt Wendell R. Knapp KIA
Quote Reply
I guess you could define various markup tags as follows

[table], [/table] => <table>, </table>
[tr], [/tr] => <tr>, </tr>
[td], [/td] => <td>, </td>

However, people should then now a bit of HTML, or you have to explain it to them. The advanced editor should also be able to do that... Jason here is work for you!

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
This seems like a Links or Links SQL related task. You should not use forum for this task, except if you have special reasons to do this.

My opinion is that Links would be fine for that task. And depending how many records you plan, I would recommend Links SQL for a bigger database over 5000 records.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Support grid or table? In reply to
I'm afraid that doesn't make any sense to me. All I would like to do is have some of my text a little better organized when I post it.
Quote Reply
Hmmm, I see. Ok.
Yogi explained how you should do it.

Altough, personally I would not allow users to make tables, especially if they can do mistakes using the tags. Jut to mention if somebody forgets the table tag, your page will be broken if you used more nested tables.
But it is up to you what you do...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Support grid or table? In reply to
We've considered adding support for tables, however doing so poses a major problem. Namely, when posting, someone could put:

[/table][/table]

Now, when this is rendered, I'll be on the main page, and whatever I post looks like something on the page - it has essentially broken out of the post table.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com