Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

[suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page
On Who's Online page would be fine to have displayed My time zone & User time zone, too.

Let's imagine I set my Time Offset (in hours): +9 in EDIT PROFILE.

This means that all User times will be displayed in my local time.
However sometimes would be fine to see what is the time at a user.
So would be fine to have displayed on the Who's Online page both My time zone & other user's time zone, too.

Example:
Code:

Who's Online page

webmaster33 User Viewing forum May 14, 2002, 9:57 AM ( 9:57 AM )
Paul Veteran Writing post reply May 14, 2002, 9:56 AM ( 8:57 AM )
yogi User Viewing forum May 14, 2002, 9:56 AM ( 13:57 PM )

The time between the parentheses shows the local time of the users (based on what they set in their PROFILE). I hope you will like the idea and will implement it.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 14, 2002, 1:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Hi,

I've made changes in 1.1.5 so that you can add a user's time by adding the following to whos_online.html:

<%if user_localdate%> (<%user_localdate%>)<%endif%>

That would display the full date (ie. "May 15, 2002, 1:53 PM"). If you didn't want the full date and time, you could do this instead:

<%if user_localdate%> (<%GT::Date::date_get($user_localtime, '%h%:%MM% %tt%')%>)<%endif%>

I'm not completely sure yet whether or not we'll add this to the default 1.1.5 template.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Thanks Jagerman, you are quite fast again! Great!

Personally I will use this feature, but I don't know if others would need it too.
My opinion is, that it is useful, and would be fine to put into the template by default, so the users can see there is such feature. If somebody does not like it, he can remove it easily.
Removing something is always easier, than to add something new. So add it. Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
definitely a nice addition since vB has it as a hack/regular distro option.

Besides, not every one lives in the same time zone.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
It's been added to the default templates for 1.1.5.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Jason,

at the moment, I only see double time-zones for yoga (me...) in who's online. Is that because I am the only one who has configured a time-zone, or is this a bug?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Yeah, it wasn't quite right. Take a look now; it should be working but should NOT show for you, or anyone else with the same time offset as you.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
I see the same time in ( ) for everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
That means no one in the Who's Online list has a time_offset set in their profile.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
So is it showing the servers localtime?

I see 4pm
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Yup.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Hmm could it not be removed if there is no offset...it is a little redundant otherwise?....I dont need to be told what the server localtime is 20 odd times Angelic
Quote Reply
hmmm 2 ideas :::

1.) start with time being GMT .... that way it's easier to base your own time zone ... rather than having to figure out where that perso's server is located.

2.) instead of a textbox to enter (+9) ... have a drop down of all the worlds major time zones.

I have +9 set but online shows 02:49 while my real time is 09:49, everybody else has 17:49 .... hmmmm

What is online time supposed to show? server time or each user's local time? I'm getting confused on this ... lol ... I'm always confused though.

Angelic

Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
The time offset is the difference from the server time. So, if the servers timezone is +3, and I am -7, I would set -10 for my time offset.

Dealing with timezones is a real pain - different timezones change to DST at different times, some don't change, etc. Handling all that would be a real mess.

If your real time is 9:49, and everyone else is 17:49, you should really be about +16.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
Yep, I agree with Paul.

Ideas collection:
1) Display server local time at the top of the Online Users table.
2) The currently used 6:56 AM (9:58 PM) format is fine for me. But if server is displayed at the top, the "6:56 AM ( Timezone not set )" info would be fine.
3) Yes, using GMT would be better and listing most time zones in downdrop list would be also fine

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
hehe ... I'm horrible at math!

which is why I mentioned that instead of localtime that gmt should be used.

Also, figuring out where a server is a real pain requiring asking the admin/moderator or using some kind of time zone chart.

Totally agreeable that time zones and DST are a pain especially if you live in a non-DST time zone. Unsure

But hashing this out here is probably better than each individual g-forum site user having to deal with it later.

Sorry, about creating the extra coding hassle but still worth considering a straight out of the box solution.

Quote Reply
Actually, I don't like this feature. It made me turn off "Visible in Who's Online".

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] [suggestion] My time zone & User time zone to be displayed on Who's Online page In reply to
Why? Why is irritating you, if somebody knows you Time Zone?
Moreover, if you don't set the Time Offset in your Display Profile, no extra info will be displayed about you Time Zone. Cool

But go hidden, or invisible, or whatever you want, it is your decision... Pirate
I never understood, why would somebody hide himself & his public existence from the public (except his e-mail or personal data).
Personally, displaying my Time Zone and my existence on the forum is not irritating me. Angelic

EDIT: "Never say, NEVER, so I say, CURRENTLY" Wink

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 17, 2002, 2:42 AM
Quote Reply
>>
displaying my Time Zone and my existence on the forum is not irritating me.
<<

Not everyone thinks like you, you know. There are 12,000 other people to consider.

>>
Moreover, if you don't set the Time Offset in your Display Profile, no extra info will be displayed about you Time Zone.
<<

Why should he have to lose his timezone setting to hide himself?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:

You are saying exactly what I was just going to write....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Quote:
>>displaying my Time Zone and my existence on the forum is not irritating me.<<
Not everyone thinks like you, you know. There are 12,000 other people to consider.
Paul, please don't change meaning of my words!
I wrote this, related to the statement Yogi wrote, => that he goes invisible, because the time zone is displayed now on the Online users page.

Quote:
Yogi wrote, he made him "turn off 'Visible in Who's Online' ", because the time zone is displayed near his name on the Online users page.

I just wrote, he does not need to go invisible, if he wants not to display his time zone.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
I want to use my timezone, but I don't want others to know. The only option I have is to become Invisible.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Ok, I understand.

But why is so disturbing to display the time zone? This would help others to know when to search you, if somebody e.g. want to ask a bit help.

Of course, I accept if you want this, just wondering why is disturbing.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Basically, I was thinking of going invisible before. This change just triggered it....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
>>
Paul, please don't change meaning of my words!
<<

I don't understand how I've changed the meaning of your words. All Im saying is that just because you like the feature, doesn't mean everyone else does....and the people that don't like it should not be forced to lose out by altering their profile or personal settings.

I just get the impression that you think everyone should go along with your ideas and when someone has a difference of opinion you imply that they are wrong for not agreeing with you.....just my 2 cents, maybe Im reading too much into your replies :)
> >