Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

I'm really sorry.....

Quote Reply
I'm really sorry.....
...to keep going on about this and Jason has explained about it but the problem with new posts coming back as new at random for no apparent reason is really happening quite often now and it is frustrating when you have to keep clicking old posts to stop them showing as new.

Is there nothing that can be done about this?

This isn't a rant, just an inquiry.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] I'm really sorry..... In reply to
Is this happening with just a single browser open? The problem is known when you have multiple browsers open, because each will get a new cookie.

I've commented on the new post handling before: we know it isn't perfect, but we've gotten it to a point where it works 99% of the time for 99% of people. I have, however, added this to the growing list for the 2.0 version of Gossamer Forum.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] I'm really sorry..... In reply to
Yeah it happens with multiple browser open but also with one...I rarely open two unless I'm searching or something.
Quote Reply
Ok this just happened again and I definintely only had one browser open. Well I had two but one was pointing to a different site.

All posts that I'd just read within the last 25-30 mins started showing as new.

I'm using XP Pro, IE6 if that has any meaning.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

I get the same thing happening if I use the "back" button on my browser to navigate between forums and threads. If I use the "jump to forum" and "main index" buttons for navigation after I veiw a post, the post gets properly marked as read. However, if use the browser "back" button after viewing a post, it does not get marked and will continue to show up unread. I don't know if this is a true bug or a known consequence of the forum structure. Regardless, it is annoying.

Regards

Don McRitchie
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website

Last edited by:

warc1: Jul 30, 2002, 10:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] I'm really sorry..... In reply to
That's to do with the browser requesting a local cached copy of the page, not the forum software.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] I'm really sorry..... In reply to
Hi Wil

I recognize that the browser would be requesting a local cached copy of the parent page when using the "back" button. However an actual "new" post will be pulled from the server as it has not been accessed before. I would have thought that when this post is pulled there would be a mechanism to mark the post as read. However it does not appear to happen. If I use the "back" button to go to the the parent page (usually a forum view), it will show "new" posts in the thread I just left. I expect this since it is a cached page. However, doing a forced reload of the forum page or moving to the main index page still shows the thread marked "New"

Regards

Don McRitchie
Webmaster
Lansing Heritage Website
Quote Reply
Re: [warc1] I'm really sorry..... In reply to
>>
However, doing a forced reload of the forum page or moving to the main index page still shows the thread marked "New"
<<

Yep exactly what I've found.
Quote Reply
Does it ever happen consistently, or is it seemingly random?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Well consistenly in terms of fairly often but it seems to be at random times.