Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

use forum name/password on other parts of the site

Quote Reply
use forum name/password on other parts of the site
How can one go about using the user names and passwords from FORUM on other parts of your site - like a member's area. Is it possible to also use the permissions part of the FORUM groups on other parts of your site? For instance - I have a free site where people discuss stocks. If I wanted to create a pay portion of the site, how could I use the current member directory information in the .htaccess for the member's only section for members of a PAID_MEMBERS group?
Quote Reply
Re: [shiner] use forum name/password on other parts of the site In reply to
It wouldn't be easy to do with a simply .htaccess file. You could do something that used the GForum libraries to grab the usernames you are looking for and dumped them into a .htpasswd file, however it is doubtful that the default GT MD5 password encryption would be compatible with Apache (but, this is untested - it _MIGHT_ work).

However, using regular apache directives this wouldn't be easy. If you're using mod_perl, there are hooks you could set up to do this for you, but it would most likely require quite a bit of work to do.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com