Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

user_validate

Quote Reply
user_validate
When a user signs up in my forum the validation url comes out with a 'typo':

' user_validate '

is ' uservalidate '

so when a user trys to validate his sign he gets a 'no such action as ' uservalidate '

Is this something that I messed up in the .eml templates?

I just reinstalled the gt forum 1.5 from scratch. This is the line in the validation.eml :

<%cgi_root_url%>/gforum.cgi?do=user_validate&validate=<%validate_code%>&t=english

so why is the "do=user_validate" coming out as " do=uservalidate " ?

Now I just tried to resign up in this forum and I got the same problem. Could it be my web mail provider? Crazy I know it works with a pop3 account, but I am having this problem on both my forum and this forum !

This is the url I got:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=uservalidate&validate=13329GTjK0kmLIMPqiDBv5J4epA4BdaE

now 'uservalidate' is an invalid action. If you add the missing "_" (underscore) it works, but you can't have your users doing that !!!

How can we solve this problem?

Last edited by:

nt6: Jun 14, 2002, 3:33 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] user_validate In reply to
This looks like a "webmail" issue. I tried with wanadoo.fr and caramail.com (two french webmail providers) and the underscore in user_validate was missing.

I downloaded the message with outlook and it was there.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Really strange!? Crazy

I think Jason should simply add the run action "uservalidate". Also we should change the template "user_profile_threads" for "userprofilethreads", since in thread_notify.eml this template is called.

François
Quote Reply
In french version 1.1.6, when I try a user validation link without "_" in "user_validate", I get «Aucun code de validation n'a été entré» (var: VALIDATE_NO_CODE). So Gforum now recognize the action "uservalidate" but the validation code is not transfert to it. Frown

François
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] user_validate In reply to
Should this be moved to the bug forum?

I just hoped this gets solved quickly.
Quote Reply
This is a real problem. Could someone tell me where this is coming from? Is this a problem with the script itself, or is this coming from the web mail providers I mentioned?

What ever the answer is, this should be addressed immediately.
Quote Reply
Hi,

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem. It definitely appears to be a problem with the specific e-mail client as several e-mail clients we have tested with (including Gossamer Mail) do not exhibit this problem.

What I'd recommend doing is opening up the admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm file, and finding the "user_validate" section, then copying that and rename it to "uservalidate".

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com

Last edited by:

Jagerman: Jun 25, 2002, 2:55 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] user_validate In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem. It definitely appears to be a problem with the specific e-mail client as several e-mail clients we have tested with (including Gossamer Mail) do not exhibit this problem.

What I'd recommend doing is opening up the admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm file, and finding the "user_validate" section, then copying that and rename it to "uservalidate".

I do not understand what you mean. The "_" in "user_validate" is necessary and thus shouldn't be removed. The problem is that it is missing with these webmail providers. You really need to to try yourself to see. My technical knowledge stops here... Frown

Go to caramail.com and create a free webmail account. Then try to validate a new user account in this forum.I can not explain any better than that.

Let me know how it goes, and what to do.
Regards.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I signed up for the mail as you suggested, and signed up on our forum. See the attachment - everything appears correctly and the validation URL works properly.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Windows language settings? Try forwarding the e-mail to me so that I can check the source of the message to track this down.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] user_validate In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi,

I signed up for the mail as you suggested, and signed up on our forum. See the attachment - everything appears correctly and the validation URL works properly.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Windows language settings? Try forwarding the e-mail to me so that I can check the source of the message to track this down.

I have just attached two screen saves.

One of the window in wanadoo.fr for the email address confirmation.

The other is the result of what happens when the "_" in "user_validate" is missing.

I have just looked at this confirmation web email on IE / windows 2000 & IE / Mac Os 9 and then problem is there both times. So I guess this has nothing to do with windows 2000.

Again, once I download the email with netscape messenger, the problem has vanished Crazy

What should be done?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Like Jason said in a previous post, open the file admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm, find the "user_validate" section in it, then (before I recommand you to make a backup of the file) copy this section and rename it "uservalidate". This way "user_validate" and "uservalidate" will work for the validation.

Here what will look like the new section:

'uservalidate' => {
'action' => 'function',
'customizable' => {
'description' => '1',
'disabled' => '1',
'hidden' => '1',
'page' => '1',
'page-add' => '1',
'page-del' => '1'
},
'description' => 'Valide son compte',
'function' => 'GForum::User::validate',
'page' => {
'already_validated' => 'error.html',
'bad_code' => 'error.html',
'no_code' => 'error.html',
'success' => 'user_validate_success.html'
}
},

If you're not able to do add it, send me your Data.pm file in a private message, and I will add the new section "uservalidate" for you.

François Smile
Post deleted by nt6 In reply to

Last edited by:

nt6: Jul 2, 2002, 8:52 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Franco] user_validate In reply to
Thank you.

That did it.

I also had to edit the validation.eml template to remove the "_" as well.

Now each time I update the gforum on my servor, I will have to edit Data.pm again, right? Crazy
Quote Reply
No, when you will upgrade you will not have to edit Data.pm! It's done forever! That's a good news! Wink

There was no need to edit validation.eml since both functions "uservalidate" and "user_validate" now work on your forum (if you did what Jason told you to do).

François