Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Installation Error

Quote Reply
Installation Error
I am getting an Internal Error when I try to access the install.cgi. I have uploaded the files as told in the readme. Anyone have any ideas what is going wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: [mlinsell] Installation Error In reply to
Have you tried running it from shell? Or check your webserver error logs.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Installation Error In reply to
My host does not allow me to view error logs for some reason. How do I run it from the shell?
Quote Reply
Assuming you know how to telnet/ssh in and all...
just cd into the dir you have extracted the install files
and go:
perl install.cgi
or just:
./install.cgi

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Installation Error In reply to
I'm now completely lost. I don't have a clue about that. If I let you have access to my host, would you be able to do it for me?
Quote Reply
Upload install.cgi to your cgi-bin in ASCII and install.dat in BINARY

Chmod install.cgi to 755 and make sure the path to perl is correct.

Visit install.cgi from your browser.

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Installation Error In reply to
Thats what I did. The first time I got it to work and it came up with the screen where you fill in your details. I did that, but whilst setting up, I lost my connection to the internet. Since then it won't bring up the install.cgi screen, even though I have uploaded the files to my server again. How can I completely remove the files that it did set up so that I can reinstall?
Quote Reply
Hi,

There is a bug in the installer that if you don't have DBI installed, it will generate a 500 server error rather then displaying a nice error message, so this could be the problem.

Have you successfully used any perl script that connects to mysql before?

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Installation Error In reply to
Hey Alex, the DBI error doesn't occur until after unarchving - at least not for me.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Installation Error In reply to
I have never even tried to make use of mysql before. I have just checked the support pages of my host and discovered that they do not allow direct access to mysql on the server. Is that what the DBI is about? If so, is there anyway around this?
Quote Reply
Hi,

No you will need MySQL (or other database, Postgres, or perhaps MS SQL if you are on windows) access, and two perl modules installed DBI and DBD::mysql modules.

Check with your ISP if they have these. We'll make the installer/setup better detect this.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.