Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc

Quote Reply
NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc
Product description:
The NewsArc plugin mirrors USENET Newsgroups into your local GForum instalation. Plugin is Bi-Directional, meaning that you can also post to USENET newsgroups via your forum, making your site a Web to Usenet gateway.

The NewsArc plugin supports Attachments and is completely integrated with GForum. It makes use of GT Libraries for almost every function, except for those non existent like NNTP which is implented via Perl Modules from CPAN.

If you have a community site, with low traffic, and need some fresh content relevant to your niche, then this Plugin is right for you. If you would like the oportunity to win a free copy, read the following article to know how you can get one, the article also gives you some ideas on how to optimize your forum for Search Engines so you could get the most out of search engine optimization techniques.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...apsed;guest=10955954
Quote Reply
Re: [sktg] NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc In reply to
Here's a more detailed product information page (including features)

Description

The NewsArc Plugin provides a gateway from GForums to USENET. It allows forum members to read newsgroup messages as well as to send posts to the newsgroups.

Audience

This Plugin is intented for GForum customers who would like to mirror USENET content into their local forums for their users in order to offer a content rich discussion environment. The Plugin is also an excellent tool to make a low traffic, content lacking site to become content rich overnight.

Features

Some of the features include:
  • Handling of unlimited newsgroups and newsgroups servers
  • Support for MIME and UUencoded messages and attachments. Including MIME multipart and multiple attachments per message.
  • Completely integrated into the GForum admin screen
  • Hassle free installation. No need to modify GForum code.
  • The thread implementation will take References and Message-ID headers to correctly thread messages into your GForum.
  • Minimal CPU and memory overhead due to table design, indexes and use of .newsrc module.
  • Newsgroup posts will be treated exactly as if they were local forum posts, thus, making them searchable.
  • X-No-Archive header support.
  • Appended signature for outgoing messages where you can promote your products and/or services to a broad audience (USENET).

Requirements

You’ll need the Net::NNTP and News::Newsrc modules from CPAN
GForum 1.1.8 or later. (may work in older versions, but not tested)
Any Newsgroup server(s) that allows reading/posting of articles. (Usually free)
A scheduler application, such as cron, that allows you to run the synchronizing application every n minutes. (ideally, you can sync every minute with practically no CPU overhead)

Installation

Simply select the plugin from the Download Plugins section of the GForum admin and install.

Support

Will be provided either via the Gossamer Forums or via the support section or the SKTG site located here:

http://www.sktg.com

Last edited by:

sktg: Mar 18, 2005, 8:05 AM
Quote Reply
Hi sktg

Looks good.
What's the price.?

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Re: [minesite] NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc In reply to
Its listed at $499 in the plugin download section

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
User License (meaning you can install it in every site you own) unlimited Newsgroup servers and groups is $499
I'm working on a simpler version without attachment support and limited to 5 USENET newsgroups for $99 for those who can't afford the full version.

Jessy

Last edited by:

sktg: Mar 18, 2005, 9:10 AM
Quote Reply
Thanks.

I didn't think to check the download area.Crazy

When do you expect the "Cheapskate" version will be ready.Tongue

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Hopefully by next week. keep monitoring the forums for the announcement.
Quote Reply
Hi sktg

Is there any type of filtering option for the messages / posts.

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Not yet, as I'm trying to use and integrate something like bogofilter or spamassasin into the plugin. USENET articles are very much like email messages, so the above SPAM blockers (if tweaked) could be integrated, let's see.
Quote Reply
Trying to access purchase info for this plugin, when clicking on "Download", get the following:

Mirror USENET Newsgroups into GForum to create a content rich environment that will boost user registrations and traffic, search engine robots will index your site (including all mirrored newsgroups) thus helping your search engine rankings. Attachments supported for binary groups. Error: The plugin you have selected is a paid plugin owned by the author, and you do not have access to it.

There is no link there anywhere to actually purchase the plugin...

???

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc In reply to
You need to pay for it via paypal. After you do that, you'll be able to download directly from within the Plugin manager in GForum. Send me a private message if you want to go ahead with the purchase.
Quote Reply
PM'd you, need purchase info... Unsure

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] NEW Plugin for GForum: NewsArc In reply to
Also, can you PM me some example sites using the plugin, preferably one using static mod_rewrite templates....
Thanks Smile

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Hi sktg

I’ve been running this Plugin for 5 months now and like it, it’s a great asset to our Forums, it’s every thing I expected and runs trouble free.

What I’d like to do now is customise it a bit, each Forum post display shows the original message in the reply with a leading >.

How do I go about removing the original post from the reply or setting it so the original is at the bottom?

Thanks

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Hi there Minesite,

It can be done by modifying newsarc.cgi

Are you familiar with Perl programming? I can tell you what to change and where, or charge you an hourly rate to customize it myself. Let me know how you would like to proceed.

I'm glad you liked the plugin, I have few customers, but very happy ones..
Quote Reply
"It can be done by modifying newsarc.cgi, I can tell you what to change and where"

If you can explain how, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
"It can be done by modifying newsarc.cgi, I can tell you what to change and where"
If you can explain how, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

Hi ... the same for me ;)

FMP
Quote Reply
Hi sktg

Could you explain the mod required for the newsarc.cgi to achieve this ?

Thanks

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
What I’d like to do now is customise it a bit, each Forum post display shows the original message in the reply with a leading >.

How do I go about removing the original post from the reply or setting it so the original is at the bottom?

Anyone managed to get this changed, it’s a pain in the butt, every post has the original, the reply, its reply, and then its reply also.

So you end up with a message so long you can't decipher it.

Shame, it’s the only drawback but it's making it just about unusable.
Unsure

Regards

minesite
Quote Reply
Send me private message, I would like to see the problem. I've been using Newsarc for two years now, I use the same version you have and I don't think I understand what the problem is.
Quote Reply
PM sent.

It's not a problem with the script, it does exactly what it is supposed to do and does it well.

It's a personal preference on how it displays in the forums.

Regards

minesite