Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

cannot locate modules

Quote Reply
cannot locate modules
hey yall i'm transfering all my gforum files over to a new host and have no idea why this isn't working, shouldn't the modules already be installed? i had to manually change all the hardcoded file paths (why would you guys do such a thing?) and the database configuration. the reason why i don't do a new install and just import the database is because the forum was heavily modified, which includes templates and source code.

pls
Quote Reply
Re: [meat bone] cannot locate modules In reply to
i also get the error:

Code:
GForum::Template (23584): Compiled template directory '/srv/http/cgi-bin/admin/templates/default/compiled' is not writeable at /srv/http/cgi-bin/admin/GForum.pm line 267.

what are the permissions suppose to be? mine are;

Quote:
drwxr-xr-x 2 meatbone meatbone 4096 Dec 27 09:44 compiled
Quote Reply
Hi,

They should be 777, so they can be written to.

Also, if moving to a new host - you need to make sure you update all your paths in /admin/Config/Data.pm , as well as in the .cgi scripts.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] cannot locate modules In reply to
hey did you even read my posts? i've already updated the paths and i chmoded the compile directory to 777 and the error persists.

Last edited by:

meat bone: Dec 27, 2014, 1:12 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yes, I did read your post. You *have* have to have a wrong path if that error is coming up... simple as. You must be missing something else. If you have replaced the paths, updated the SQL settings (which this error doesn't suggest), and made CHMOD's all ok, then it should work fine - so something is missing.

Quote:
i had to manually change all the hardcoded file paths (why would you guys do such a thing?)

Because, some servers *require* that. You can use relative paths a lot of the time, but for that small percentage, its easier to use a full "lib" path (and TBH., there are a hell of a lot less files to edit in GForum, compare to GLinks, so think yourself lucky Whistle)

And FWIW, I know what I'm on about - I've been using these products for almost 15 years Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Dec 27, 2014, 1:24 PM
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I did read your post. You *have* have to have a wrong path if that error is coming up... simple as. You must be missing something else. If you have replaced the paths, updated the SQL settings (which this error doesn't suggest), and made CHMOD's all ok, then it should work fine - so something is missing.

afaik i have done all that, all the sql settings are just in one file right? i'm not on my server right now so i can't check

Quote:
Because, some servers *require* that. You can use relative paths a lot of the time, but for that small percentage, its easier to use a full "lib" path

but why couldn't you have like a path config file that would return all the paths in question, or a function in Config.pm that would return admin_path, image_path, stuff like that?
Quote Reply
Quote:
afaik i have done all that, all the sql settings are just in one file right? i'm not on my server right now so i can't check

Yup, all the SQL stuff is in /admin/defs/database.def. For the path, have you tried running a grep to find any instances of the old path?

Code:
cd /path/to/forum
grep -rl '/old/path/here' .

(the . at the end is important!).

That should at least help you find any paths that may have got missed.

Quote:
but why couldn't you have like a path config file that would return all the paths in question, or a function in Config.pm that would return admin_path, image_path, stuff like that?

Thats not the problem. Its the compilation of the modules - it needs to know where to look. On some servers, you can use relative paths - but its generally good practice to use full paths. If you were doing a move, you would also normally just run a grep, as explained in my "how to" for a GLinks move:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ons_P298281/#p298281

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
thanks i followed all your instructions and still no luck, still getting the same type of error but just a different filename

Code:
Can't locate GT/MIMETypes.pm in @INC (you may need to install the GT::MIMETypes module) (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/share/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/core_perl /usr/share/perl5/core_perl . /etc/httpd) at /srv/http/cgi-bin/admin/GForum.pm line 264.

could it be possible i have apache configured wrong?

Quote:
Apache/2.4.10 (Unix) mod_perl/2.0.9-dev Perl/v5.20.1
Quote Reply
Is /srv/http/cgi-bin/admin/ actually your correct path for the new server?

Also, your comment says its under mod_perl, is this the case? If so, maybe try it without mod_perl first (it could be your startup file that is using the wrong path)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
holy $!#% it's alive

turns out i had apache configured wrong, in addition mod_cgi was commented out in my apache conf file which idk if it did anything but i'm leaving it like that for now.

thanks for your help andy

Last edited by:

meat bone: Dec 28, 2014, 8:03 AM
Quote Reply
now, on to my next problem

when i try to password protect my admin directory nothing happens, it adds the user and stuff but it will never prompt me for my credentials. what's going on?
Quote Reply
NP :)

You are probably missing your .htacces file in the /cgi-bin/admin folder. If its not there, try making one manually. Should be something like:

Code:
AuthUserFile /full/path/cgi-bin/links/admin/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthType Basic
AuthName Protected

require valid-user

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
question number 3:

one of my users has a trademark symbol in his username, yet it keeps showing up as �, how can i fix this?
Quote Reply
The easiest option - only allow a-z A-Z 0-9 - _ space and . etc in the username regex :)

Setup > Users > username_invalid_chars

Just add stuff like copyright, and any other characters you don't want them to be able to use. Then, rename their account (and email them to let them know this is the case)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
what's the hard way, what if i want any user to be able to use these symbols? when he first registered it was fine but now it's broken after the move
Quote Reply
Hi,

Then it would a case of trying to work out why its encoding it =) Where are the HTML encoding showing up? I find it hard to believe that moving servers would have had this effect, as its all done with the "encode" function within the GT::Template parser.

Are you using the default template set, or a custom one?

Can you PM me an example URL, so I can see where its happening?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply

Quote Reply
Hi,

Mmm ok - that looks more like a page encoding issue, not a perl issue. If you view the source, what encoding do you see - such as:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

Those kinda issues are a bit of a bugger to track down (especially if it worked on your old server). I guess you could check to see differences you have in your httpd conf file (on the old vs the new)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
i've got

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
Quote Reply
Mmm, and what happens if you change this to iso-8859-1 ? (I think this is done in the templates, but I don't have a copy of the older version available to me atm)

Can you PM / email me a URL where I can see this, so I can try and edit the HTML in firebug, to see if it helps?

Cheer

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ok i fixed it by using iso-8859-1 encoding instead of utf-8, thanks
Quote Reply
Angelic

Bit weird that it broke - but it could be something to do with your server settings as well. Anyway, hopefully thats the end of it

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
nevermind, i just figured out there was an extra quotation mark in the meta tag, using utf-8 works fine now
Quote Reply
look at me,

you guys should offer me a job
Quote Reply
haha well you have the advantage of actually being able to see it all - I'm just going by what you are pasting ;)

Also, I don't work for Gossamer Whistle

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk