Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

Real name in profile?

Quote Reply
Real name in profile?
Hi

Is there a chance that you can modfy the View Profile screen to include the user's full real name in the final release? I would really like this to be done on this board, too. I think it creates more of a professional feel.

Just my $0.2.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Real name in profile? In reply to
I personally think having the REAL NAMES on there is beneficial. It adds a real identity to the user, instead of contributing to the anonymity of the web.

Oh dear god... 20 cents now? It's .02 not $2 or $.2. I thought I already made this comment before. LOL

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFreak] Real name in profile? In reply to
I say leave the poor guy alone.

Just my $10.

Names in profiles has been discussed and "some" people didn't want them for some reason.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 7:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Real name in profile? In reply to
aw, come on. I know the chap means well, but he needs to get it strait.;Pirate

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Yeah. I feel strongly that your real name should be displayed clearly on your profile page. If you're that concerned, you could always sign up with a bogus real name.

Well, just my $0.002 ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
It's called a bad economy...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Real name in profile? In reply to
Interest rates went down from 4.5 to 4% in the UK this mornin' Cool

I think names in profiles is a good idea. I don't personally see any issues with someone knowing your name.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 10:01 AM
Quote Reply
maybe it shoud be an option in our profile, just like showing our email address?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Good idea
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Names in profiles has been discussed and "some" people didn't want them for some reason.

That's a good reason not to make it required - if you don't want to enter it, don't. I can't see the point to making full name a required field; after all it is just as easy to make up a bogus name.

I think I'll go add it in now. Smile

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [jagerman] Real name in profile? In reply to
I never said it should be required. I'm happy for a profile option like Drew said, or an optional field.
Quote Reply
I feel it should be an administrative option.

A professional forum like this should encourage full real names, while a more relaxed forum might let people off.

- wil
Quote Reply
People shouldn't be forced to enter a name. It would be pointless as anyone could enter a fake name, and would probably end up entering stupid names like Joe Bloggs
Quote Reply
It would be easy enough for anyone to add to their forum - just go into the User table editor, add a user_full_name field, then in the basic user profile page put an input type=text, named "user_full_name". Then, wherever you want to display the full name, just use "<%user_full_name%>". If I add it, that's all I'll do Wink

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
So I guess you could set the column as NULL/NOT NULL depending on what you want?
Quote Reply
Yeah, I know it's easy to add.

Maybe you could add this as a setup-installation/admin option?

It would be nice to see it on these boards. It would give it a more professional feel, IMO.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes, I agree with Drew...I have this permission setting in my web site, among other permissions to allow individual users to CHOOSE what they want to appear and not to appear.

The best user management systems are those that allow flexibility and personalization based on individual user's decisions...not dogmatically set by the administrator or managers.

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 8, 2001, 6:29 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chewbaca] Real name in profile? In reply to
can agree with that!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

although for fourms like here at GT maybe staying away from nicks might be nice ... hehe, I'm one to talk!!! errr write Laugh

for other forums nicks would be just fine.

I guess it depends on the community and what they expect more than what the administration expects and the type of information the forum is geared towards.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Real name in profile? In reply to
You missed my point...

I think that no matter what type of forum you facilitate or offer, you should allow preferences for your users and not dogmatically make decisions FOR your users.

Doesn't matter what community or type of application you are using the forum software for...let the individual users decide...reflect a democracy virtually...rather than an aristocratic society.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
If people paying $200 for a license want to be able to force people to enter names then this feature should be added. If it can be turned on/off then people who don't want to force names can turn it off simple.

It is for the webmaster to decide...no-one else.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 7:26 AM
Quote Reply
Again, you missed my point...

My opinion is that the END USERS should decide whether they want their real names to appear or not...I am not saying that others should adhere to this level of flexibility...but making the application flexible to suit both users and end-users needs is imperative.

But building an application to only suit the needs of the administrator/webmasters is not reasonable in my opinion.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Chewbaca: Nov 9, 2001, 7:28 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
but making the application flexible to suit both users and end-users needs is imperative.

Sorry you've lost me, because that is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Anyway this is irrelevant as Jason already provided a way to do it.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:10 AM
Quote Reply
Our forum wouldn't even show username but only real names.

My question is how to make possible sending private messages with real names without knowing usernames? People could write the real name of the user to the receiver field and get a list of available users with that name. Would this be a difficult plugin to make?

Lauri
Quote Reply
Re: [lpa] Real name in profile? In reply to
Why not just store the real names in the username field?

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Why not just store the real names in the username field?
Because the real names are not unique and we have unique usernames that are used to login into our extranet.

Lauri