Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Discussion :

mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message

Quote Reply
mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message
Does anyone have any idea how to have the mailarc plugin bring in the
attachments as well? I know this 'could' be dangerous but I'm backing
up a mail list that is filtered before it gets there. so I feel reasonably
safe letti nthe attachments in from this source.

So How do we pull in the aatchments as if they had been posted directly
in a forum post?
Quote Reply
Re: [ptegler] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
It should do this already. I've been running mailarc for some time and it imported the attachments from some archived lists that I had by default.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [ptegler] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
Hi,

It should work by default. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you found any problems.

Cheers,
Jean
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [jean] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
This used to work for me, but doesn't anymore. I've raised this in the forum before and posted a message to support but heard nothing back. I would appreciate some kind of response.

Now when I try sending an attachment to GForum to archive through MailArc I get something like this:

Code:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
"|perl /home/seaturtle/cgi-bin/gforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/archive.pl --forum=5"
(reason: 255)
(expanded from: <test-seaturtle-archive@chelonia.seaturtle.org>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
Plugins::GForum::MailArc (1964): Error: Column post_unique_id cannot be left blank.
Column post_message cannot be left blank. at /home/seaturtle/cgi-bin/gforum/admin/Plugins/GForum/MailArc.pm line 175.

for reference my copy of MailArc.pm has the following at line 175:

Code:
my $sth = $table->insert($fields) or return $self->error("WARNING","FATAL",$GT::SQL::error);

Did something break between MailArc and one of the GForum upgrades? I'm not sure but I think it stopped working sometime around when I upgraded to 1.1.6. Does archiving e-mail with attachments work for anybody else or is it just something with my installation?

thanks,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Re: [mcoyne] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
I have never thought to test attachments. I did so and it failed. A message resulted, but no attachment. I attached a Word file and it appears that mailarc imported that contents of the file in the resulting message (which was junk becuase it couldn't read the Word file).

I sent a second message with an attached text file and mailarc pulled the file contents into the message.

Dave
Quote Reply
Sorry, actually more likely that is happened when I upgraded to v1.1.8, IF the problem is upgrade related. I checked the database and the last time an attachment worked was Sept 7, 2002.
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Hi guys,

It's probably a bug since MailArc hasn't been updated for a long time. Could you just replace the attachments as a quick fix.

Post.pm -> admin/GForum/Table/Post.pm
MailArc -> admin/Plugins/GForum/MailArc.pm

Cheers,
Jean
Gossamer Threads, Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [jean] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
Thanks Jean (and Alex), that did the trick. Much appreciated!

cheers,
Michael Coyne
seaturtle.org
Quote Reply
Unfortunately, this didn't fix it for me....any suggestions? Is there a toggle in Admin blocking attachments? As said all of my attachments are being merged into the post message.

Thanks.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
Hi Dave,

Did you restart mod_perl after uploading the new files? That is usually necessary before changes will be recognized.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
No I have not...I actually don't know how to do that Crazy. I have edited MailArc.pm previously and have uploaded that without problems, with the changes taking effect. I tried the fix with my changes and without them...with the same results....no attachments.

What is the command to restart mod_perl?
Quote Reply
Re: [bretzke] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
On our servers, running "modperlctl restart" from the domain directory (e.g. /home/username/example.com) will do the trick.

Jason Rhinelander
Gossamer Threads
jason@gossamer-threads.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Jagerman] mailarc 'Attachment' retrival along with message In reply to
I ran the restart but still no attachments.